Dunhill Bulk Blends Relaunch

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Just trying to be light and have a little fun. Certainly did not mean to offend.

Rodfather and dwaugh like this.
  2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

If anybody is curious to try these -- either as a total newbie, or an experienced piper wanting to compare to tins -- I got a group buy started over in the Trading Post if you're looking to try an ounce or two of either.

3. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Got to thinking more about the re-introduction of My Mixture 965 by Dunhill and had an ah-ha, irony moment.

When I lived in Chicago I smoked tinned tobaccos, Dunhill and Rattray's primarily. Didn't build any stock or "cellar," I'd buy one, smoke it and buy some more -- or something else. When I moved to Dallas to start raising a family, and so the kids could know their grandparents, I decided -- probably for budget reasons -- to buy bulk tobacco, about four ounce pouch at a time. I asked about Dunhill and found they only had 965 available. So that is what I got, later a pound at a time. Then when the B&M was no longer in a reasonable distance (the Dallas area is spread out) I found an online source. I kept ordering and smoking it until it was no longer available.

I've tried various "matches" and such since then. When I found out last week it would again be available I immediately put a pound on the order I was already building, added enough for free shipping, and away it went.

Here's the irony part: When I was buying my tobacco in tins MM 965 was not my "go to tobacco." I smoked it some, but it wasn't really on the top of the list. Yet, I have spent a given amount of time searching for a "replacement" recently and when it was announced it would be re-introduced I lined up like a fanboy waiting for the new iPhone. :laff:

This is not to say I don't look forward to trying what is offered as the re=introduction of 965. It is just funny how something can become a "holy grail" and how the memory kind of folds in on itself sometimes.

Coda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.