Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ok, I'm on my second tin of DNR (4th tin of GAF so shuddup! ;) ) and I noticed the "coins" appear to be nearly readily falling apart! The first tin (recent Orlik prod., rec'vd in Dec 2010) the coins were as tightly spun as Escudo and rubbed out as easily. This new tin of DNR, rec'vd this month, the coins appear so loose that it looks as if it's more like a ready rubbed coin/flake. Smoked nicely, although I feel this new one probably wasn't as "aged" as the previous? Or different batch? Or Orlik got in a rush? Who knows? I'm not unhappy but it was surprising to expect a nice spiral of Escudo sized coins tightly spun and spiraled around the inside of the can and to open the tin and find a "mess"! This new DNR smoked a bit "rougher" and not as smooth as I recall.

Just thought I'd mention my findings and see if anyone else noticed this too.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I had a tin of GAF that was loose as a goose and smoked bland.
    I guess quality control<profit.

I'm not about to throw in the towel, but I guess it's more proof that the name 'Dunhill', is only that.

3. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Could be something to do with them rushing production to meed demand?

4. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I too sampled some of this recently. Mine were lovely rolled up little creatures, no complaint there. I quite enjoyed the first bowlfull but since then cant seem to get it anymore. It may of had something to do with the pipe I smoked it in but alas I have not been able to remember which it was so I have been rerunning pipes again.

5. Puff The Magic

Actually, this my 3rd tin (counted the opened emptys and there's 2 empty) and the first two were tightly spun and looked so perfect as opposed to Escudo which can be a bit bent or smooshed whereas the coins of DNR from the first two were perfect visually and smoke-wise. This newly opened tin looked like there was a fight in the tin and the coins appeared disheveled and smoked rougher than the smooth smoke of the previous DNR. I bet they (Orlik) got rushed or this may have been a stack of coins from one of the ends of the "Big Rope" or they just didn't let this one age while tightly wrapped prior to slicing. Either way, hope it's just a fluke.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

A great pity as I know you guys in America were eagerly awaiting the return of the Dunhill tobaccos. I do wonder though if the great demand has been the problem and things have been rushed at Orlik's resulting in temporary quality drop to meet demand - at least I hope so - disappointing for me too as one of this year's projects for me was to try the Dunhill blends.

Hope your next orders are OK and will follow this thread with great interest,

Best to all

Gerry

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The condition and presentation of the baccy in the tin I have is ok. The taste is a bit bland. I'm going to cellar it for about 6 months or a year to see if it improves.

8. telltime

telltime Active Member

I have eight tins in the cellar right now... three I got four months ago. The other five I just got... I hope they are O.K. Guess I'll find out in a couple of years.

9. qwik

qwik Member

Wondering GAF stands for ?

10. Puff The Magic

"GAF" and it's origin:

I was smoking the then "new" DH Flake. Knowing the name was changed from the older "Light Flake" due to FDA-Centers for Tobacco requirement regarding the words "Light, Mild, Strong, etc". I then thought that this is a very nice Va and I was gonna get more. Then I thought Orlik did a fine job making this flake and it it were not tied to the Dunhill name at all and was named "Gorilla Asscrack Flake", I'd still be buying it and smoking it like crazy! So, the name took root here on PSF as our beloved "GAF". It's a great flake and a Va you must try before you die.........that is if you like Va's at all. ;)

I'll have to take the credit for "GAF" but "YAK" (Dunhill Royal Yacht) or "Royal Yak" is not my given name for it, I'd heard it about 30 yrs ago in a b&m I was a "regular" at and the name stuck in my head. "GAF" & "YAK", two Va's...........miles apart!

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

11. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Have you considered getting PS Bullseye in bulk?

12. Puff The Magic

:eek:hyeah: PS LBF is a mainstay here. I was commenting in the tin presentation and the comparo between this can and the previous cans. LBF has been with me for a long time (20 yrs-ish)

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

He I am late, as always.

Just finished up my first tin of DNR on a very slow track. I wanted to like it but found it way shy of Escudo's periquey punch and far short of Reiner LGF's toasty aromas and flavor peaks. Running between bland and almost sour I was underwhelmed with DNR. The put up was nice enough and, like Ed said, the rolls were a bit loose - can't say these things made it taste less brilliant. I think the tobacco is less brilliant or just not to my taste.

I'll come back and try more when it's convenient. Maybe I got the wrong tin. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.