1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunhill Durbar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by PipeMeister, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

Hi Pipers

Just managed to pickup 2 new sealed tins (oxymoron) of 11 year Old Dunhill Durbar.
    On the tin it states made in the UK in association with Dunhill Tobacco of London.

I paid 29$ US/each.
    My question, they had 3 more tins left. Would it be worthwhile getting the last bunch? Is this tobby that good?, I plan to cellar until a very special occasion but it's nice to know it's there.
    BTW, also purchased a new Dunhill Shell Briar Bulldog (Group4) online today, I will post pics when the pipe arrives.
    Having a good pipe day me thinks! :groucho:

PipeMeister

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

PM,

Going straight for the gold, wot.
    Durbar is no longer made, so if
    you like it, i suggest getting more.

Congrats on the Dunny purchase,
    may it bring you many years of
    happy smokes!

dp

3. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

Cheers DP

It's my first Dunny purchase (although I've caressed a few!) I doubt it will be my last.
    Actually I suffered a PAD meltdown this month, must remember to pay the mortgage! Hehe

I've taken a liking to Royal Yacht, so I'm hoping this will be something similar. Amazing what treats you can find on the lower dusty shelves of your local B&M!

PM

4. telltime

telltime Active Member

If you like it, grab all you can. No competition from me... that stuff has Latakia in it & Latakia makes me turn :sick:.

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

to be honest, i wasnt all that impressed with durbar, i feel london mix from the same era (and even afterward) to be a far superior tobacco. that being said, everyone disagrees with me and most people will tell you its one of the better orientals ever made.

if i weren't me i'd grab it, if i were you i'd smoke it to see if i like it, then grab it if i do.

6. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Durbar in one of my two favorites of the Dunhill line, I would pay it. I have two tins of the Murray version left.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Durbar was indeed legendary in its time and many miss it greatly. I'd say there's two ways you could go depnding.

You could do as I'd do and try it to see if you personally liked it and then go a collar the remaining tins; or you could aquire it anyway with a view to trading it anyway if you don't personally take to it.

I'd agree there can be gold found in the bottom drawers or back cupboards of a BM - that's why I still make a point of using them and maintaining a relationship.

Enjoy the new pipe in good health for many years!

Best as ever

Gerry

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I have one dusty tin left I picked up at a B&M in Washington State for $17. If they had a few dozen at that I probably would have bought them all but even $17 is a bit beyond my edge for smoking tobacco.

$29 discontinued Durbar isn't really smoking tobacco anymore; that's investment tobacco - an ebay listing in 2020.

9. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

Thx for the feedback everyone!
    I guess I'll pony up the auntie and buy the rest, I'll open one tin, perhaps on a special occasion, and cellar the rest.
    Indeed Gerry, that lower shelf is rocking with goodness, I'm pretty sure there was some more ancient goodies stuck on the bottom track, but it's gonna be painful to try and even reach those tins. This store has a Pipe Tobacco humidor shelfed in drawers, nothing fits, it's a trial and tribulation because it's right in the middle of the busiest part of the store..! Oh well, no pain no gain!

Mister Moo, I hear ya, look for my ebay post in Jan 2020, Durbar, sealed tin 20 years old, only 199$ US :startle:;-)

-PipeMeister

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Damn that sounds like fun. I love treasure hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.