1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunhill EMP - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DublinBecker, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Hello everyone,

As a new pipe smoker I must thank everyone who had offered their helpful advice in the proper techniques to savor a bowl of pipe tobacco. My most recent smoke was a bowl of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. It was a three-hour smoke with significant breaks and 4 or 5 relights. Done with a renewed sense of cadence and proper (light) packing, it was the best smoke I have ever had.

I've also learned that my newbie taste buds have yet to acquire an appreciation for some of the top richer blends that others appreciate, such as Dunhill Nightcap, Gawith FVF, Gawith Balkan Flake (ugh), etc. Thus, I find that blends exulted by more experienced smokers on tobacco review boards don't necessary work for me.

Having said that, using Dunhill EMP as a base/benchmark, what does everyone like that can be categorized in having a similar dimension of flavors? I am intrigued by pure golden virginia... would that be a good type to try?

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

This is similar to the "If You Like..." Game.

If you Like EMP, you'll like... what?

Well sticking with Dunhill, I'm willing to bet you'd like London Mixture. It is a relatively "mild" Middle-English blend and many consider it an "all day smoker." Another consideration would be S.G. Squadron Leader.

EMP is Va's and Orientals.
    McClelland #24 is (Darker) Va's and orientals. Might give that a shot too.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  3. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Thanks Spillproof. I will try those blends...

4. mojo66

mojo66 Member

I"d say... if you like Dunhill EMP you'll like Rattray's Black Mallory.

5. buistd

buistd Active Member

If you are interested in pursuing the Latakia blends, but don't want anything too full-bodied, I suggest you try out Peter Stokkebye English Luxury. For my tastes it is not too heavy on the Latakia, and has a nice sweetness to the smoke from the other blend components (Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish).

6. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

+1 on Squadron Leader. Maybe McClelland's Frog Morton on the Town as well.

7. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Another vote for London Mixture here. Also, another one that comes immediately to mind is Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture. Both of those are real winners in my book.

Squadron Leader is a nice blend, but it has more Latakia than Skiff, so it depends on what you're looking for. Skiff is a nice, mild but flavorful smoke.

8. Marker

Marker Active Member

Sqaudron leader is a bit more dark and not as smooth as London Mix. Next step from EMP is london mix in my opinion.

Mount Mandolin and Spillproof like this.
  9. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

McClellands "Wilderness" will be a nice "B" side to emp. IMHO

10. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Thanks everyone. Looks like I have enough recommendations to exceed the minimum order requirement for free shipping at smokingpipes :). I already have 15 or so opened tins (transferred to Ball jars)... TAD is full blown and I have you guys to blame.

Will report back on these when I get to try them all.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  11. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I personally didn't care for EMP :eek: I think if you want to try something similar with GOOD flavor, give Villager 1888 Early Day a shot it's a little over half as expensive and better IMO.

OldSouled65 likes this.
  12. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Thanks Briar Boy. I've put that on the list for my next batch of tins.

user2725 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.