1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dunhill filter non-9mm

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dwaugh, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I suppose you could whack 1/4" off the top and fit a silver crown to the rim but it would be an expensive repair. Also, the crack might spread further in the future.

dwaugh likes this.
  2. NoRm

NoRm Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I had a whole box of these. Turns out I only have 7. To be honest, I don't even remember when, where, or how I got them. And they are definitely for a cigarette holder, as indicated in the picture on the front of the box. But they are still Dunhill none the less.

HCraven, dwaugh and Mister Moo like this.
  3. stwetch

stwetch New Member

Hi David,
    I am contributing little and very late to this discussion. All I can say is that I have the same model Dunhill pipe in much better shape, and the same kind of Dunhill filter that came with it when I purchased it on eBay years ago. I came upon this discussion while searching for these Dunhill pipe filters online. I have been looking for more filters without success. My excellent local pipe shop here in the San Francisco Bay Area was completely non-plussed by it. However, the pipe smokes beautifully without any filter at all. Oddly, my filter came pristine and un-used in the well-used pipe. I would have sent a photo of pipe and filter, but cannot figure out how to find the "image URL." How does one load a photo into one of these messages? Have you found a source for the filters yet? Thanks in advance.
    Dan

4. woody

woody Admin Admin

http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/upload-and-post-a-picture.10920/

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hello everyone!
    My guess is that this pipe was never designed to take a filter, like so many others.
    The now defunct German company Heibe used to make 3mm filters for all those pipes which wouldn't accomodate anything bigger.
    Maybe they produced this particular filter and just stamped it with the Dunhill name, like some kind of sub-contractor.
    It's a shame that the bowl has these cracks but it can be repaired with a metal cap:

[​IMG]

This pipe I got off the bay, and it has the repair cap fitted: 925 Sterling Silver

dwaugh likes this.
  6. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I have not found a source for the filters. I almost never use filters, but I was looking just to find some information on them. I have found no reference to Dunhill filters of the that size, but clearly they existed (the filter is clearly printed with Dunhill):msty:

7. stwetch

stwetch New Member

Shadow may have hit it with his speculation about the defunct German contractor making the filter. So just for jazz, here (I hope) is a photo of my pipe and its filter. When I got the pipe, the rim was a bit "necrotic" also, and so I took the liberty of sanding it flat again.
    [/IMG][​IMG]

shadow and dwaugh like this.
  8. stwetch

stwetch New Member

woody likes this.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I have been doing a lot of research on this subject lately and from what I gather, the carbon build-up, or "cake" is most often the culprit with bowl cracking as the carbon expands and contracts at a greater differential than the briar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.