1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dunhill find

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Uncleowen, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncleowen

Uncleowen Member

I think this is a pretty neat find. A friend at my church found a pipe in the graveyard and asked me if I wanted it. OMG. It is the briar, no stem, Dunhill. I looked it up and it might be 1930s. It is a bent rusticated briar with one set of numbers... 656. Also, 4 is circled with s next to it.
    I would love to get a stem for it but wouldn't want to send it out to just anyone.
    Does anyone have a special recommendation?
    Thanks,
    Owen

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Oh wow, that's brilliant! Dave at Walker Briar Works has done good work for me before.

Spillproof likes this.
  3. furious

furious Junque collector

Well, it's likely from the mid 50's at the earliest since Dunhill introduced that nomenclature shortly before the patents expired in 1954. Cool find nonetheless!! Post pics please.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Carol at http://www.vtpipes.com/index.html (Pipeworks&Wilke) will put a Dunhill stem on it for you. There are many people out there who will put a generic stem on it, and a few who will hand cut a stem for you, depends on what you want.

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I got a Dunhill with no stem and sent it to PipeWorks & Wilke for a factory Dunhill stem. Costs about 60 bucks I believe but was well worth it and they did a great job.

6. Nate

Nate Member

Awesome! Pics or it didn't happen.

Mington and Tony Malerich like this.
  7. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

Ditto

Nice find btw!

Mington likes this.
  8. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

Are the Dunhill patents on the inner tube expired? I assume that they are, I think they were filed in 1915 and are usually only good for 5o years, but I was curious if Dunhill tried to extend them like many other companies do.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

That's a great find!
    I'm sure we all look forward to seeing the pictures of your "treasure" once you get a new stem fitted!:bing:

10. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

i hope that dunhill is a good smoker for you.

mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.