1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunhill Inner Tubes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Summit, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I was wondering what the general consensus is about the Dunhill inner tubes. Are they good or bad? When did they stop making them? If they suck do people remove them?

2. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I have a '66 group one with a tube. Tried it in & out.
    With it in, I could still get a cleaner to pass with a little coaxing. Did it smoke "drier" hmm couldn't tell.
    With the tube out, it opened the airway a tad, and proved to be a better experience for me.
    As far as production years I don't know. But I do remember struggling with the decision of out or in.
    I posted the question to Spillproof, and if I may quote him here: "Do what has to be done"

Summit likes this.
  3. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Is it easily removed or does it require "surgery" of some sort?

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

I have an innertube from the late 30's or 40 [ I forget ] . The tube was thought to keep the smoke cooler . I smoke mine with or without the tube and don't see any difference . Mine passes a cleaner without issue , with or without the tube in . I went to smoke mine the other day and didn't see my tube [ I keep it in my tamper drawer ] , which I wanted to put in . The tube is cool cause it has it's own Patent number stamped on it . I hope I find it .. it should be in one of three places :eek: Mine is a very good smoker and a perfect billiard shape . I've had it since 98 , I think , and have smoked a lot of bowls through it :th1:

Summit and Thuber88 like this.
  5. ruffinogold

It just pulls out easy

6. furious

furious Junque collector

The old inner tubes were produced mainly to satisfy the hoi polloi to whom Dunhill was always catering in the teens and twenties. The issue was that these well-heeled gents didn't want to be bothered with regular cleaning of their pipes, so these inner tubes were created to meet the need. It was a stroke of marketing genius as it gave Dunhill yet another "must-have" accessory that was disposable and sold in packs of five. I don't recall how much they cost but they weren't exactly cheap at the time since they were made of aluminum.

7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I really want to post a response here Mr Mayor, but I don't want to get in trouble.

jdto, Smokey Tom and ruffinogold like this.
  8. ruffinogold

Lol .. Man , lately .. I'm just writing everything all wrong .

jdto and Thuber88 like this.
  9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have an inner tube Dunhill also. I have talked with folks who remember the hub-bub with them. They tell me that in todays world of those wonderful fuzzy pipe cleaners---well remove the inner tube--smoke the pipe without them.
    Furious summed up pretty nicely the history of how they came about.
    One other thing I will note is that some mistakenly think they were a type of stinger. That is NOT so.

Summit and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  10. Doug McCoy

Doug McCoy Member

Hey guys, just and FYI, Dunhill pipes still come with the tube in them, at least most of the new ones I receive for the shop to sell(bents excluded). Keep in mind the tube was created in a era when pipe cleaners had not yet become available, also to keep in line with one of the may original patents that Dunhill was so famous for. Today these tubes serve no real purpose other than a throwback to a golden era of pipe making at least this is what Steve Wilson of Dunhill explained to me. Happy smoking!

11. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I have removed the tubes on all of my Dunhills. They just collect foul tasting moisture which dries on them and is difficult to remove. As Doug mentions above, they were invented before the pipecleaner. They are no longer needed. What puzzles me is how Dunhill decides which pipes get them. There does not seem to be any logic.

12. Doug McCoy

Doug McCoy Member

Just another note, I just received some new dunhills in the shop and noticed that they have a new stamping as of 2012. the new stamping on the pipes read "Alfred Dunhill's the white spot, date codes and other stampings have remained the same. Interesting!

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  13. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

It would be interesting to find out what negotiations between the various Dunhill authorized companies led to that move. They have been shifting towards the white spot brand for a while now. First the boxes, then in late 2012 the pipes. It probably has to do with separating the tobacco related businesses from the clothing store. But then what about the tobacco?

14. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Here is the new stamping, sorry for cell phone shot.
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy of Doug letting me put my grubby paws on it.

Summit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.