1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunhill London Mixture

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tenthgate, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Hi all,

London mixture is my first english blend and I really enjoy the taste and way it smokes, I find it completely gentle with the exception of one detail.

Which is that sometimes I find my throat starting to hurt from it like the dried out feeling of a sore throat coming on. It's crippling and forces me to stop smoking. I think I've countered it with a drink in hand from time to time but i'd like to be able to do without a constant drink. I don't get tongue bitee bite, mind you, but I'm wondering if this is do to puling too strong or what.

I'd like to get a handle on this because it's basically my favorite tasting tobacco thus far.

Is it a common characteristic of these oriental blends to need real care when smoking?

2. Albert

Albert Active Member

coming from another noob, ive found that when smoking "stronger" blends, if while Im sipping I also draw a little air in with it. It helps a lot and I taste the flavor much more. so I dont completely close my mouth around the bit during my draw.

good luck :cheers:

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Saf,

You may be pulling to hard on it
    to get the flavour out of the blend.
    Sip it a bit more, and see if that
    helps. I've never encountered the
    that throat sensation from a lat
    blend.

dp

4. illiteratti

illiteratti Member

I have noticed that dry throat feeling myself in some latakia blends most notably Margate. After smoking a tin or tin and a half, I stopped getting that discomfort, and now I smoke several bowls of Margate a day with no discomfort. I think I just needed to acclimate to whatever it was in that tobacco that was causing that dry scratchy throat feeling.

Maybe try other latakia blends, there are so many out there that taste wonderful and may not cause discomfort.

5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Well put!

Ol Brokedik.

6. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

lighter pack, slower smoke. englishes get beyond bitey if you get rough with them, esp london mix. take your time and it will be one of your best friends.

alternately, you may have a slight allergy to cedar, in which case i'd avoid englishes in general.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I think for some people that drying out sensation is simply a reaction to/ a feature of Latakia. Try another "English Blend" at some stage and if you still get it you'll know.

Everyone's body chemistry is different - while I don't like it these days I never had that with Latakia, but Perique always affected me instantly. Oddly enough I was reading something last night by Morleysson, who occasionally posts on this forum and is one of the most experienced pipemen I know, and he commented he's given up on Latakia these days as he finds it too drying.

Best to all

Gerry

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

+1 It is a mild blend that may subtly be begging you to try harder.

9. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

I don't' get it with Boswell's northwood blend which I believe is similar.

That comment about the cedar allergy disturbs me because i did find out a few months ago from my allergist that I'm quite allergic to just about very grass and a good number of tree pollens.

The dry throat seems to be a strange reaction though because my allergies usually manifest in runny noses etc.

I think you are all right about the slow pull, I didn't always get the sore throat, just recently. The times I've gotten it have been after getting used to smoking aggressively on no bite blends. Also when i smoke while driving i tend to clench and not pay any attention to how i'm smoking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.