Dunhill Mixture Poll And Import Question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by NDLanoue, May 4, 2010.

?

Which Dunhill mixtures should I bring back?

1. De Luxe Navy Rolls

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Early Morning Pipe

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  3. My Mixture 965

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Nightcap

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  5. Royal Yacht

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  6. Standard Mixture Mild

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NDLanoue

NDLanoue Member

So here's the deal:

I've always wanted to try the Dunhill blends, but of course, we can't get them in the U.S. anymore. Well, I want to bring a few back from Germany, but I haven't been able to try any and thus don't know which ones to pick-up. I know a lot of you have tried them, so I'm looking for suggestions. The ones in the poll are the ones the shop has.

Also, do I need to be worried about bringing them back in my checked luggage? Should I do carry-on instead?

Thanks

P.s. - I typically smoke Va/Pers and aromatics, but I enjoy FMOTT and Westminster, too.

Edit: You can choose more than one blend in the poll. Thanks for you help!!!!

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Good luck with the poll. You're missing about 50 blends, though. [​IMG]

I am a bit of a Dunhill fan but the brilliance (or dullness) of their blends is a topic for considerable debate. I also know that what anyone likes or detests has nothing to do with my preferences. That said:

Royal Yacht: a love/hate punchy aromatic blend without equal, sweet dark virginias

Mixture 965: one of the benchmark english blends, silky smooth. Period.

Early Morning Pipe: an oriental blend that seems hard for many to live without.

Nightcap: a strong english blend plus perique that seems hard for many to live without.

*Dunhill (Light) Flake: some think it's as good as virginia flake tobaccos get. Others not.

*London Mixture: a balkan blend, gentle, practically perfect. Also silky smooth.

One mans opinion. Enjoy your trip. Viel gluck. 'weidersehen. Or, as they say, "Have a good fahrt." Declare the tobacco on your way back and forget about it. You never want to mess with US Customs, especially not for nickels and dimes.

* find another shop.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I can't read the poll, so I'll throw my .02. Any Dunhill, even current production stuff, is good, and I understand why you want to try them if you never have, and I think that it's good that you try all you can afford to.

The main reason to try it is to figure out that you can't taste hype. I know i'm starting some fires here, but Dunhill tobaccos are probably the best example of "the long gone good old days" available. If you're lucky, there may be two or three guys here who have smoked pre 1970 Dunhill, the rest of us have not. We take it on faith that these tobaccos are as good as people remember, and that affects what we think of the stuff that we have had. What else would explain buying a tin of Murrays production Nightcap for 75 bucks? I smoked lots of Dunhill while overseas in the late 80s and early 90s, as I said before, it was good, but so was the McC stuff that friends were sending me.

I wish I could go back to London circa 1955 and walk through the door at 30 Duke Street. I sit my ass down at the blenders table and try some MM10, MM965, some Durbar, Ye Olde Sign, some Royal Yacht, etc., and see if all the legend that we live with was ever real.

4. CBR

CBR Member

Sorry I can't help with the Dunhill selection as I've never smoked any myself either. But I do have to agree with Mister Moo in declaring what you bring back. Pack it in your carry-on, I always do as I've had my locks cut and luggage opened before. You might get hit with duties, but weigh that against the cost of the airfare, and whatever else you paid on the trip and it may be worth it rather than having it confiscated and/or getting fined.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Navy Rolls are otherwise known as Escudo, I believe, so forget that. You can get it any time.

I'd find some Nightcap. That seems to be the one that people have the hardest time replicating.

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

I would bring back De Luxe Navy Rolls, Nightcap and Standard Mixture Mild.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

8. Brian

Brian Member

I have about 4 ounces of Dunhill 965 in my cellar. A local shop here in Maryland bought a large supply at some point and had it available in bulk for a little while, so I snatched some up. I really like it! It's a marvelous English blend.

One of my all-time favorite tobaccos was Dunhill Light Flake. Sadly ... they don't make it anymore, so you probably can't get it even in Europe unless you find some shop with a stash of it. I only got one tin. I will forever miss it :-( and have been searching for something even close to no avail.

Those are the only two I have tried. I would love to someday get a hold of Early Morning Pipe. It sounds good.

9. piper965

piper965 Member

I've tried all the blends you listed and I would recommend the MM965 or Nightcap, Those tend to be the cream of the crop for me. Another very good mix was Elizabethan Mixture, Absolutely yummy, but i dont think the make it anymore.

10. NDLanoue

NDLanoue Member

Yea, but this way I don't have to pay shipping. Also, in Germany, there's a 19% percent tax added to it that I can get back as I leave at the airport. So 12 Euros, or 15 dollars, now becomes 12 dollars and I can throw them in a suitcase.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think that McC PM pipe is scary close. My ultra scientific reasoning, you ask? I could never smoke more than a couple of bowls of NC in a row without getting an odd nickel/brass taste in my mouth. PM gives me the same taste. Nothing else does.

Do I get a Doctorate for this, or what?

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Doctor Jon it is!

After all, nightcaps are for the PM and not in the AM. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.