1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunhill Navy De Luxe Rolls vs Escudo

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Goat, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Goat

Goat Active Member

OK. So I got a tin of both of these so I could compare them and this is what I came up with.
    No difference as far as I can tell.
    Anyone else ever tried both of these blends? Just wondering if there was some slight hint of a difference that my redneck taste buds wasn't picking up.

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

The drive from the Orlik factory to Stokkebyes can't be that far. Even the labels smell the same.

Biggest difference for me is I bought a lot of Escudo 5-10 years ago for $5.95/tin and some Dunhill recently for $12. I prefer the Escudo. :D

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Only question I got is ... are the Navy Rolls as big as the Escudio coins ? Or are they smaller like the old Three Nuns or somewhere between ?

4. Goat

Goat Active Member

Same size and everything. The coins look the same and as Mister Moo said, even the tin looks the same.
    I can't tell any difference between the two.

GlassSculptor and ruffinogold like this.
  5. krusty

krusty Active Member

I understood that both are made in the same Orlik facility.
    A certain pipe e-zine did an article regarding this comparison about 2 years ago coming to the same conclusion as you have Goat.

I do enjoy Escudo and for the price difference 'tween the two I'll stay with it. Thanks for doing the "work" (-:

Jimmy Bukowski likes this.
  6. Goat

Goat Active Member

Well, I guess the good news is if the online retailers are ever sold out of Escudo I now have a suitable replacement. Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that these were "actually" the same thing just marketed under different names.

7. Albert

Albert Active Member

I couldn't tell the difference at all either.

8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I can't tell the difference in either looks or taste..

9. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I was probably my noob tongue, pipe choice and all the other things that can happen when you don't know what you're doing, but I found the Escudo ever so slightly sweeter, though that could have just been my reaction that day. In the interests of research, I should probably order a bunch of tins of each and smoke them all just to make sure. It will be a hardship, but I will persevere.

JSponge, Mister Moo and Goat like this.
  10. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I guess I'm the odd man out. I find the Navy Rolls to be more balanced with some presentation of the Virginia. For me, the Escudo is a perique bomb.

bubbagump likes this.
  11. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I detected a bit less Perique in DNR vs. Escudo. It could have just been my imagination though. As the others have said...the presentation and coin cut/appearance are identical to Escudo. I really like DNR. That being said, I don't know that I like it enough to justify spending an additional $5/tin, over the cost of Escudo.

12. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

I think DNR is a bit lighter and more flavorful, especially the second half. I don't get any of the peppery taste that I get from Escudo.

bubbagump likes this.
  13. user6509

user6509 Guest

Funny, I get way more perique and a fuller body from DNR. Probably varies tin to tin.

14. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

x2. For me...Escudo = peppery Perique taste....DNR = more of a plain Virginia or a cigar taste.