Dunhill Nightcap

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by gyrostatic, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

Any other fans of this one? Personally, I can't get enough. I quit smoking cigarettes months ago, and recently found most of a carton hiding in the back of my freezer. One of my buddies at work smokes that brand, so I figured I'd hook him up. I told him he could order me one tin of pipe tobacco in trade, and we'd call it even. I browsed a few websites to pick one out, and settled on Nightcap, figuring it would be nice to have a good full-bodied weed with a decent N-fix before bed. When I finally got it and tried it, I was sold instantly, and ordered three more tins. As soon as I lit the charring light, my whole garage smelled like a campfire. Wow, I thought, what a room note! Strong, but very pleasant.

As for the taste, it is potent. Strong, but not overwhelming. I find it goes great with a cup of coffee, which is rare for me. Usually coffee drowns out any flavors, and makes whatever tobacco I'm smoking just taste like a slightly tobacco flavored cup of coffee. I'm not sure Nightcap is the best name for it though, as I find the morning to be the best time to smoke it. Talk about a wake up call! I smoked another bowl the following morning in my car on the way to work, and it certainly did the trick. They may as well have named it Dunhill Wheaties, because this stuff is the real breakfast of champions. Extra added bonus: while at work, someone asked me "what's that smell?" "Pipe tobacco," I told them. "Wow, it smells great! If it tastes as good as it smells, I might have to try smoking a pipe." That led to a long conversation about where to get a pipe, how to pack a pipe, how to smoke a pipe, etc... I think my body odor may have converted someone! :D

2. mpchem

mpchem Member

I'd call myself a fan. When SP finally got it in stock, I ordered 15 tins of it. I also like having it with a cup of coffee--not too sure though about having it first thing in the morning. One thing I noticed (with the first tin anyway) was that it needed just a little extra drying before packing. All in all, a terrific English blend. I'll age some of my tins and hopefully it gets even better.

3. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I've heard nothing but good things about nightcap. Sounds like I need to pick up some.

4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

There goes my TAD list again!

5. nobler son

nobler son Member

I was in my "local" (45 miles away) pipe shop, and the owner has been pushing Dunhill quite a bit the last couple months. They finally have some in after a loooong dry spell. Today I thought I'd give it a look, and I saw Nightcap. I remembered hearing about it, so I bought a tin. After reading this, I'm glad I did. Can't wait to try it.

6. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

T
    TAD?

7. justMike

justMike Member

Tobacco Acquisition Disorder

8. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Aah, got it.

9. deertracker

deertracker Member

I got a tin of this in my last order it sounds like ill have to open it up and give it a try tomorrow.

10. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

It isn't for the weak of heart, that's for sure. Consult your physician before lighting up!

I just savored a small bowl of Nightcap in a Bjarne Viking. After that, I think it's time for bed.

11. Rockaholic555

Rockaholic555 Member

My noobie list of bacy to try is getting bigger because of posts like this......oh well, time to build my collection.

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Rock....we "collect" pipes and "cellar" tobaccos.... :groucho: :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:
    ...and yes, you should be building a good cellar. Tobacco prices will only go higher, and some blends will become scarce.
    Many blends actually get better with some age on them. Buy for the present AND the future.

As for Nightcap, a delightful English blend best sipped slowly. The nic-hit is moderate to strong, but the flavor is full-bodied and smokey. I haven't tried the EU iteration, but my old stuff is phenonnim...fenoman...fimon....GREAT!

13. ric03

ric03 Member

Does anyone know a way I can get this in the UK? (either a UK website or one that ships baccy here?) Love Royal Yacht and Early Morning Pipe and would sure like to try some Nightcap.

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Tobaccoonline had it until recently - they are currently sold out but it'd be worth while keeping an eye on their site. None of my favourites, Bruccianis, Greens of Leeds or A.E.Lloys have it listed at present. Might be worth checking out McGahey's though,

Good luck

Gerry

15. ric03

ric03 Member

Thanks Gerry, I'll keep my eyes on tobaccoonline to see if it comes back in stock. Also bookmarked the other sites you reccomended. I particularly like A.E.Lloyds, they have a Peterson Kildare 80s I've been thinking of a bit cheaper than elsewhere I've looked so I think I'll be back there come payday! )

16. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Nightcap turned out to be a very mild smoke for me. Probably because I like medium/full English blends. It's so mild, I think I'd recomend it to a smoker wanting to try light English and Perique. I got one tin and I will smoke the rest. It's not on my reorder list because I prefer to smoke Perique in a VaPer, not an English. It is smooth and mellow.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.