1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dunhill on a dime

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ShilohHollow, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

I've had a few Dunhills in the past, but always seem to trade them off or sell them for some reason. A while back I decided to go for one again, but this time on a serious budget. Not only did I want a Dunhill pipe, but I also wanted some Dunhill goodies to go with it. This took some diligence on my part, and some serious looking, but I managed to get this patent era Dunhill Shell for about $8, the Dunhill pipe bag/tobacco pouch and the tamper I traded for. The pipes I used in the trade added up to about $40 (what I had invested in it) worth of stuff, plus a few hours of cleaning and buffing, but I managed to trade them evenly at my local shop for the bag and tamper. So... Here it is. My $48 (roughly) Dunhill setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now who has a Dunhill lighter they'd sell for $52?

2. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Congratulations on a nice bit of footwork on your part. I nearly captured my first Dunhill the other day, but when I awoke I discovered some ebayer with 26 scores had sniped me. Oh well. The search continues...

Very nice kit you've got there. Very nice, indeed!

3. ShilohHollow

Thanks! I've actually found all of my Dunhill's at antique stores. I've found that the stores in or near bigger cities seem to be great spots and it takes some digging. Each time I found a Dunhill at the store the owner has told me "I didn't even know I had that."

4. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Nice set up, and for under $50! Wow!

5. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

:nwor: Teach me your ways!

Stonewall likes this.
  6. furious

furious Junque collector

wow a patent shell for $8!!! Now that's some luck...

7. ShilohHollow

My patent root was $7.95... darn inflation!

8. ShilohHollow

Patience and diligence my friend, patience and diligence. I'd say only 1/10, if even that, of the estate pipes in this country are listed online. The rest are in flea markets and antique stores waiting to be found. Tell the wife you want to go antiquing and buy her an old ring, she wont bat an eye over that bag full of English pipes you just snagged for less than $50. Make a date of it and give everyone some cash to haggle with and have fun with it. Find towns where there is a main street or such with several antique stores within walking distance.

Mount Mandolin, Stonewall and furious like this.
  9. furious

furious Junque collector

Very nice points about antique stores. I thought $50 was pretty cheap for a patent Dunnie until I saw this thread.

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Great thread and thanks for the pics! I've been a little dejected about the eBay Dunhills I've lost over the last several months. I've been hunting a 1965, 1977 or 1983 and can not seem to bag one. Every time, I get sniped while I'm working or they just go for rediculous (to me) money for a used pipe.

I might take you up on the idea of going antique hunting with others getting an allowance to make things interesting for everyone. Great idea!

11. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I've been watching for an '83 myself but they all seem to get much higher than I'm willing to go right now!

12. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I scored a 1990 dunhill last night (my birth year), cost me much more than a dime but oh we'll. I was really wanting it seeing it was my birth year so I paid a little too much.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  13. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Well done, incredible score !!

14. Tsal

Tsal Old Timey

I'm really feelin' that pouch. Hot set up you got there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.