Dunhill Royal Yacht -- Who likes it, who hates it?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by beeftip, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beeftip

beeftip Member

I'm intrigued by this Dunhill Royal Yacht tobacco. I love Virginias and even more, I love nicotine. Seems like this might be a perfect marriage for me.

But, I'm a bit concerned about the "topping". Seems like this is a love or hate tobacco due to however it is topped.

So then, if you have experience with Royal Yacht, please give me your thoughts. So you can focus said thoughts further, here are some thoughts I have on tobaccos that might be similar that might help you decide whether or not I might like Royal Yacht.

Peterson Irish Flake: I really, really like this stuff. But only in the afternoon.

G&H Dark Flake Unscented: I love the nicotine wallop, but I find a bit of a soapy taste even though this is the unscented version. Nonetheless, sometimes I LOVE the soapy taste, sometimes I HATE it.

G&H Birdseye: See above. I'll add though that this stuff takes a match like a champ and is the easiest smoking tobacco I've ever loaded into a pipe. I suppose the shag cut makes that possible.

Mick McQuaid Plug: I love it. Strong, but there is a sweetness. I like that.

Old Joe Krantz: Love the nicotine, flavor is kind of boring. I could get just as much of a nic wallop smoking American Spirit cigarettes.

SG Full Virginia Flake: Boring. Appreciate the effort. Love St. James Flake more.

SG St. James Flake: Great Vaper, I like Scottish Cake better though.

SG Mayor's Chocolate Flake: This is what happens when a blender smokes pot. I love this stuff. Yeah, no nic wallop, but man, I really like the combination of flavors here.

G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake: Thank god I have a cob to smoke this in. It sucks in a briar. The "Lakeland" essence wins in a briar. In a cob, the flavors all come together quite nicely.

G&H Rum Flake: See G&H Chocolate Flake.

GLP Jackknife Plug: Love it. Sort of strong. Great flavor!

So, those of you that might have experience across this range of tobaccos, what do you think?

Thanks,

Darren

2. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I predict that you'll like The Royal Yacht........a lot!

I enjoyed it but it won't be in my steady tobacco diet. A bit too strong to smoke on a regular basis, but it's nice from time to time. I like the topping.

:puffy:

3. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

I really like it! It has a very "unique" topping, very hard to place but it's delicious nonetheless.
    It's definately on the "strong" side, so smoke it gentle and it will reward you with a delicious experience.
    Puff hard and fast and prepare to meet the pavement! :phew:

- PipeMeister

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1,

I also like it. Don't smoke it a lot,
    but that's not saying much.

dp

5. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I call it the "Velvet Hammer" the topping creates a creamy luxurious smoke. A nice post dinner smoke when I'm seeking lightly fragrant small bowl non-flake virginia.

6. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Add me to the like it group, it is a very tasty smoke though it can ghost your pipe with the topping. I would have smoked it more had it been available but it was not.

7. Burner

Burner Member

I like it. Don't smoke it much but it's nice when I do

8. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I've got a couple tins of RY on deck, but wondering which pipe to smoke them out of. Anyone have problems with ghosting from this blend?

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Definitely. If you decide you want to continue with this blend, you may want to give it its own pipe.

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

...or smoke it in a meer. :thumbsu:

dp

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

It took me to the second tin til I began to like this one...

Best to all

Gerry

12. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

The unique topping is Tonquin (from the tonka bean) if I'm not mistaken; tasty stuff, although like Gerry above, it did take a few bowls to come to that conclusion.

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Right on!

Then again, that's my answer to everything.

Worried about ghosting? Smoke a meer! Worried about cake building? Smoke a meer! Worried about the national debt? Abortion? Gas Prices? Smoke a meer... smoke a meer... smoke a meer! Worried about your nasty boss? Kick his ass! And then smoke a meer!

:thumbsu:

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

Royal Yacht: Hmm... only ever tried it once a few years back and it was OK. I remember a few members of the Pipe Club Of London call it Royal Yuck. Well... each to their own.
    I think I'm gonna buy another tin soon, just for a bit of difference :wave: :wave: :wave:

15. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

BTW, I found it even tastier a couple days after I cracked the tin...very tasty (but strong) smoke!
    I've cellared a few tins and will probably add more soon.

-PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.