1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunhill Royal Yacht

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by beeftip, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beeftip

beeftip Member

My intention for this post is to log my journey with Dunhill Royal Yacht. It is a blend that I've been most curious of since its recent "rebirth". It should be right in my wheelhouse as it's Virginia dominated but with a huge nicotine kick. If the descriptions of the blend and the advice given to me by the esteemed members of this forum in a previous post hold true, this should end up being my holy grail.

So my journey begins now at 4:45 p.m. CDT on April 9, 2011. I have just opened the tin and set out a bowl's worth of tobacco for my upcoming constitutional with the dogs. The tin note is outstanding. The typical notes of raisins and figs that accompany Virginia are present in spades. I'm also detecting a bit of cocoa. The cut is a perfect ribbon. It's a little wet, but nothing 45 minutes on a piece of paper won't rectify.

My first reaction upon opening the tin and taking a full whiff was, "Damn it!"

"Now what?" replied my wife who was in the other room.

"I don't think I bought enough of this tobacco."

"What?"

"I just opened a tin of tobacco from my recent order and I don't think I ordered enough."

"Why?"

"Here, smell." She took a whiff and said, "Smells like raisins."

I said, "Do you smell any chocolate?"

"Yeah. Wow! That does smell like chocolate."

"I know. I think I'm really going to love this stuff and I should have ordered more."

"Just wait until you smoke it. You won't know for sure until then."

Damn wife always being smarter than me. So I will report back my impressions after smoking my first bowl. Hmmm... what pipe to use?

2. beeftip

beeftip Member

Took another whiff of the tin as I'm sitting here digesting an early supper. I get a note of Play-Doh very similar to Mick McQuaid Plug. I love Mick McQuaid, but it's not available in the U.S. Is Play-Doh available in the U.K.?

3. beeftip

beeftip Member

Figured out what pipe to use. It was kind of a no-brainer. It's a 1961 Cherrywood.

[​IMG]

4. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Very excited to follow your journey!

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

FIRE IN THE HOLE! ....???

For me, my first foray with "The Yak" was early '90's, blew the top of my head clean off! Willing to give her another go now, especially now that I tolerate greater amounts of Lady N. She's a sneaky lil'wench! ;)

So, did the doggies have to drag ya home? Was it good? Buying more? That's what it is, you're buying more after the doggies did their "thing" aren't ya?

Enjoy The Yak, I'm mountin' up shortly! Gonna ride her for at least 8 seconds........(which is about how long it took for her to throw me the first time I cooked Yak).

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Hope this was works for you, BT. Puff's
    last encounter yielded me a bag of Yak,
    which I have since acquired only two
    more tins. Not an every day smoke for
    me. Last bowl hit me square in the head!

dp

7. beeftip

beeftip Member

It was windy on our walk which caused my pipe to smoke hot. I tried my best to provide a wind break, but not to much avail. Nonetheless, my first impression is favorable.

The flavor is mild, but I get a definite sense of complexity. It was hard to pinpoint flavors because the smoke was hot. I can say there is a rich but subdued sweetness that's similar to Mick McQuaid. I am not, however, putting too much stock into that observation as I may have swayed myself to that conclusion based on my reaction to the tin note.

I'm very pleased with the nicotine content. Yes, there is plenty of it, but as a former cigarette smoker and current snuff user, I have a high tolerance for nicotine.

I feel kind of bad for you fellas that don't have the constitution for "high-test" tobacco. I think it causes you to miss out on some outstanding blends like Irish Flake. But, that being said, I also envy you because I think you get more pleasure from the delicate yet complex Virginia dominant blends. As an example, I love Scottish Cake, but I find myself rushing it to satisfy my Nic craving and I know I'm missing all of the subtle beauty of that particular blend.

Stay tuned for more tasting notes. I plan on firing up another bowl of "The Yak" with tomorrow morning's coffee.

8. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

I am quite the weakling when it comes to lady N. If i smoked RY at a pace anything like your avatar it would most certainly be my last pipe ever.

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm a wimp too - I do wish I could enjoy things like Irish Flake or Royal Yak, but Scottish Cake is enough for me.

10. beeftip

beeftip Member

I've put a couple more bowls of Royal Yacht through a couple of different pipes. I'm beginning to form a better opinion of it. I think I'm to the point where I can separate the taste variables based on the pipe I'm using from the actual base flavors. I still want to spend some more time with it to separate other factors like time of day, what I've eaten prior to smoking, and accompanying beverage. But, I think I have some new opinions to share that may provide some value.

Common to the blend across the three different briars I've used are a subtle sweetness and flavor akin to Mick McQuaid Plug (slightly sweet with notes of almond, brandy and maybe anise). At this early stage I'm guessing this is due to a combination of the Virginia tobaccos used and whatever topping might be added. I'm also noticing a harshness to the smoke that is slightly irritating to the back of my throat. An ashy flavor accompanies this harshness. In fact, the more intensely I puff, the more harsh and ashy the smoke. I also notice a bit of a nutty flavor, but it is not very pronounced or complex.

Although I have noted a cocoa note in the tin aroma, no such flavor is coming through in the smoke.

I continue to detect a good deal of nicotine strength. It's not as overwhelming as I had anticipated. For my tastes and tolerance, the nicotine level is adequate and provides a nice, warm buzz. I think there are others out there that have much more nicotine (Irish Flake, Dark Flake, Kendal Kentucky, etc.).

My opinion is that the harshness/ashy flavor and nicotine content are coming from air cured leaf in the blend. I'm further swayed to this opinion as I taste some similarities between Royal Yacht and Scottish Cake. They both have a slight nutty component that is just a tad sweet in and of itself (beyond the Virginia and topping sweetness). I believe Scottish Cake is reported to have some Kentucky added even though it is not listed as a component tobacco on the tin. If Kentucky leaf is added, in my opinion this would explain both the nutty flavor and the nicotine strength.

I can't say at this point whether or not Royal Yacht is going to earn a place in my cellar. I really like the combination of the sweetness from the Virginia tobacco, the subtle flavor of the topping, and the very slight nutty flavor and nicotine strength from what I'm assuming is air cured leaf. That said, I think Royal Yacht is trying to be too many things and as a result comes up short overall. In other words, the whole is not exceeding the sum of its parts.

I want to try Royal Yacht with some different beverage pairings. I think it might pair well with Cognac or bourbon. I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but sometimes tobaccos perform better when the palette has been anesthetized a bit by higher proof spirits. My guess is that sometimes those very subtle flavors we pick up on a sober palette are distracting to the overall harmony of a blend. A palette dulled by alcohol won't detect these subtleties and allow the smoker to better enjoy the more dominant flavors, but in a more "muted" manner. To state it another way, alcohol takes the edge off and in my experience, some blends need this and are even made better by it.

11. WillH

WillH Active Member

Just tried my first tin of Dunhill Royal yacht! The best description I have is "well behaved". Great smoke! Rolled a generous amount into a ball and dropped it down a deep meerschaum bowl. Very nice right down to the final little bit of grey ash. I detected absolutely no harshness - none! A first for me and it's a very good blend indeed. No fancy flavorings, just pure tobacco! Nice smoke!

Will

I don't believe you would have any problem with this tobacco. It's not as strong as IF!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.