1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dunhill Shell dating

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Brian Powers, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

I recently picked up a couple of Dunhills. For less than $200 for both of them I wasn't expecting much. The first arrived yesterday and is very good shape. After reaming the bowl and 'torting it twice I tried to identify the year without much luck. My best guess at this point is from the 90's, but I thought I'd ask here. The pipe is stamped on the bottom with a circled 4 (size?) followed by HT (hand turned?) over RG (ring grain?) in front of DUNHILL SHELL over MADE IN ENGLAND 33 or 35. Any thoughts?

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

3. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

4. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

That's what I thought at first, but it certainly isn't a brandy or horn. It's actually a diplomat. I believe the 33 (or 35) is the year (1960 + X).

Dondi likes this.
  5. shadow

shadow Active Member

The number after Made In England gives you the year of manufacture. It's relatively easy after 1960. What you do is to add the number to 1960 so the 33 gives you
    Made in 1993. The Dunhill dating overall is a bit more complicated especially pre-1960.
    And you're correct about the size: The ringed number gives you the size of the bowl.:bing:

6. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

T'anks. Guess I was on the right track.

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.