Dunhill Tobacco Question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

When I was stationed in Bahrain back in 1989 - 1990, all the local tobacco outlets (grocery stores, drug stores, and the one pipe shop on the island) carried a line of Dunhill tobacco that came in pouches like American OTC's and were on the aromatic-side. (And as I recall the wrappers even indicated that these were geared toward "American Tastes" in pipe tobacco). Each wrapper was in a different color (i.e. red lettering, blue lettering, etc). I haven't been able to find them since. although I have looked for them off and on over the years since they were among the few aros that I liked.

I was on the Cup O' Joe website earflier and was looking at the Dunhill tobaccos. At the top of the Dunhill page they advertise Dunhill blends that carry alpha-numeric nomenclature like A20000, A21000, A25000, and A3000. I've never paid these much attention before, but for some reason I got to reading them today. These appear to be aromatics and seem to be like those elusive Dunhill blends that I was able to get in the Persian Gulf.

Does anybody else remember those Dunhill aromatic blends I was buying in the Gulf? Has anybody ordered any of these Dunhill AXXXXX series tobaccos? Does anybody know if these two lines are actually one in the same?

2. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Check out this thread http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/is-dunhill-a21000-lanes-1q-or-vice-versa.13883/

Hope this helps!

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Most illustrative. This makes me wonder just how long Dunhill and Lane have been in bed together. Maybe i should get over it, but in my mind Lane is forever associated with Captain Black - and I dislike Captain Black. When I was buying the Dunhill aros back in 1989, they were nowhere near as goopy as the Lane Stuff... but it doesn't mean it wasn't being made by lane and Dunhill just wasn't telling. If so, I'm a bit PO'd that I was paying Dunhill prices for Lane tobacco. I hope this is not indicative of thengs to come, and that some day all once great blends will be produced by the lowest bidder, made with the most inferior ingredients, but still sold as a venerable classic. Yet another scenario that makes me happy that I'm cellaring now.

Arkie likes this.
  4. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Lane was the US Dunhill distributor until the early to mid 2000's until MCM took over. They might have owned the US shops the shops????
    Lane made some great tobacco mixtures like my personal favorite Crown Achievement, bulk EMP and 965. I don't remember paying outrageous prices from the NYC and Chi Dunhill shops plus you got a nice tin and great, very polite, service from Jose in NYC and Rodger in Chi. I've tried some of the Murray Dunhill aro's and they were IMO horrible. :confused:

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Not to thread-jack but that was my favorite, too! I only mention this because today people seem to poo-poo it for the most part. Not that contrary opinions lessen its greatness or anything....

6. ol gto

ol gto Member

RTO - what can you tell us of these A20000, A21000, A25000, and A3000,
    Light/dark Cavendish?, Virginias?, burley?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.