Dunhill

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by NoelVance, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoelVance

NoelVance Member

Hi everyone,

I am just starting recently, and I have heard dunhill tobacco is pretty decent. I bought cherrybomb, and I hate it. It goes out constantly and though it has a good aromatic the taste is not super wonderful. Any suggestions on what to buy? I prefer sweeter tastes/smells. Even a suggestion outside of Dunhil would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Standard Medium.....

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

1. It looks like you're saying (CAO-blended) Cherry Bomb is a Dunhill product. I do not believe that is the case.
    2. Most aromatics taste very little like they smell in the can or, burned, in the air. That's just the way that is. I sure wish some aromatics tasted like they smelled so I could quit eating chocolate chip cookies and lose 20-lbs.
    3. There are a lot of aromatics to choose from and it's all about individual taste.
    4. If you have a cherry jones, check out this thread: http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1729-whats-the-hate-on-cherry/page__st__20__p__27485__hl__cherryblend__fromsearch__1#entry27485

4. NoelVance

NoelVance Member

\

Oh no sorry, I did mean cherrybomb from Cao. But thank you, I will most definitely check that thread out.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Deluxe Navy Rolls, I suppose...Dunhill blends aren't notoriously sweet and aromatic, so it may be the closest bet.

Otherwise, there is a wide world of sweet tobacco's out there. You almost have to narrow your preferences down a smidge before the boys, and girls, can give you suggestions.

6. NoelVance

NoelVance Member

Well aside from my preferences from earlier, what would you suggest?

7. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Celtic Talisman......

8. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Noel, I just started with the pipe and I would heartily recommend MacBarren Honey and Chocolate. It does taste like it smells...a dark chocolate smell and taste. Going in the MacBarren direction, I'd also recommend their Vanilla Creme if you want something sweet and not an English style tobacco.

I've taken to mixing both chocolate and vanilla together for an interesting smoke. Also both mix really well with some Prince Albert and/or some 1-Q. My goto smoke right now is a blend of PA/1-Q with a pinch of Honey and Chocolate. It seems the chocolate is more accentuated when it's mixed with something else. You get these little hits of chocolate throughout the pipe that really is good.

9. yinyang

Well, my son is about your age, and he loves 1792. An old school aromatic. I'm actually a lousy one to suggest 'sweet'....unless a naturally sweet Virginia tobacco qualifies. If you're near a pipe/cigar (B&M) store, see if they have McClelland 5100. A straight red VA, sweet enough, not bitey, and affordable. It'll be jarred, not tinned.

10. NoelVance

NoelVance Member

Awesome, thanks guys, I ll look into these suggestions.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

Peterson's Sweet Killarney or Sunset Breeze. C&D Autumn Evening

12. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I can't speak for Dunhill, but if you're just starting out, save yourself some hassle (and expense!) and get some Prince Albert or Carter Hall which are common OTCs (drugstore brands). You can get a 1.5 oz. pouch for less than $5 and both are as effortless and forgiving a smoke as you can find. These easy smoking tobaccos will allow you to get the basics of pipe smoking down. Once you master the technique, then you can move on to more high-end tobaccos without worrying you spent a lot of money on something you can't smoke well enough to enjoy fully.

13. yinyang

Noel, another option might be to check out Tobacco Trader. I think that is their website name too. They have an ongoing offer that when you call and give them your address, they send a ounce or so of 'Savannah'...an aromatic that several here, myself included, will say is actually good! Just a (after)thought.

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

If you're after a very well behaved sweet Va that's not overly sweet and has a very smooth "tanginess" from the Va, and it's gotta be Dunhill, I recommend Dunhill Flake (lovingly called GAF, for "Gorilla Asscrack Flake" in certain circles........). It's a wonderful smoke and smokes clean, dry, and very good all the way down to ash.

Solani Silver Flake
    Reiner's Long Golden Flake
    Orlik Golden Sliced
    Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake, Burley Kake, Rolando's Own

I'd imagine your list is long but hey, take it easy and enjoy! That's what it's all about!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

15. NoelVance

NoelVance Member

thanks again guys. this friday I am heading out to look for some of these suggestions, and relax a bit.

16. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Dunhill Flake is about the sweetest Virginia I've smoked. I like Royal Yacht also...Not as sweet but it's real nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.