Early Morning Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whalehead King, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

When i first cracked this gifted tin, I thought it was a bit too spicy for the first pipe of the day. The tin art shows a crowing rooster in front of a dawning sun. I gave it a try on my 6:30 AM walks around the neighborhood. It isn't particularly spicy in the bowl, rather mellow in fact. When I first opened the tin, it gave me a hint of bite since, when walking, I tend to puff more vigorously and frequently.

Nobody in my path complained about the smell. They complimented me. One guy followed me for two blocks and shouted out when he had to turn, "Nice pipe! What have you got in there?" I told him and he replied, "I love my pipes. I'll have to check it out." That's one vote in favor.

As the tin has aged about a week, I find it much more mellow. It's a clean burn and doesn't deliver any surprises. Just the think I would like from the first pipe of the day. I don't usually smoke early in the morning,

When I get home after visiting the coffee shop or pastry shop or newsstand, my wife doesn't complain that I smell like burnt tobacco. She doesn't seem to notice I've been smoking. That is one vote in favor of this tobacco's mellowness.

Will I buy another tin myself? Probably. "Early Morning Pipe" seems to be a good name for a tobacco that hasn't given me any trouble, has given me plenty of enjoyment, and that has served its role well as being a nice morning smoke.

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nice review...I find that EMP is a better (for me) evening smoke, and Nightcap is better in the AM....but I'm weird! Enjoy your morning pipe amigo!

3. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I've been wondering how the Nightcap might compare. Based on my personal evidence and impressions, I suspect we may be in agreement. All Dunhill would need to do is switch labels.

Thanks, T-B.
    WK

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Thanks for a great write-up, WK. Sounds like something I might add to the list.

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I've always felt that way too. Nightcap seems to have more nicotine, and thus is a good choice for getting the heart started in the morning.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Nice entry, WK. I have a tin of
    EMP, but I find myself opening
    the RRR more often. Which is
    okay, because I can share the
    EMP with the brotherhood.

dp

7. mpchem

mpchem Member

EMP is great. It's probably my second favorite English, right behind 965. Nightcap does a number on me--just a little too strong. I bought a bunch of Nightcap from SP when they got it and am actually thinking about selling it all just because it makes me a little nauseated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.