1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

ebay kaywoodie

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Moonrover333, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

So I scored a neat kaywoodie standard 51s. I don't know ANYTHING about kaywoodies. It was relatively cheap so I'm happy. My only gripes are the stem is a bit crooked and the draft hole is a bit high. Anyone know how to straighten a stem in these and will the draft hole affect smoking?. Also what is the point of a stinger lol.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The 51s is a great pipe for out and about . It clenches well and doesn't get in the way ! As far as getting it straight , sometimes you can luck out and get a grip on the outer rim and turn it counter clockwise , though sometimes not . Usually you wont luck out . I have a tool , I don't know what it's called , that when you squeeze it ... it pushes the tool outward , this way you can put it in the threaded part of the shank without hosing up the outer rim but you have to be careful not to mess up the threading . Other than that , I don't know of another way but surely someone here has a trick that's easy

3. bosun

bosun Active Member

The idea of the stinger (condensing fitment) is to have some of the vapor condense out of the smoke and give you a 'drier' smoke. Idea being when the pipe gets the gurgles, you unscrew the stem and shake off the moisture. Most of these overturned stems, just take a Bic lighter, heat the stinger up a bit to melt the glue that holds it in, then screw the stem back into the shank until it is properly aligned. Then just let it cool. If it doesn't turn fairly easily give it a little more heat and try again. You don't want to melt the stem plastic though (G).

4. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

That one was smoked pretty hard. That is why the draft hole is kind of worn. If it's high, put a little pipe mud in there to raise the bottom. The stinger is actually a condenser. It helps keep tobacco juice away from your lips. That one has 3 holes so it is a 60s or later pipe. The Standard was a cheaper pipe at the time. Usually they are pretty plain. Yours has pretty nice grain. And it's a pressed in stinger vice screw in. Your stem is over-turned. To fix the stem alignment, boil some water and transfer it to a small container. You want to get the stinger in the water but not the stem. If the stem is rubber it will discolor it. But that might be a nylon one which is okay to get wet. Heating the stinger or that and the stem both will loosen the glue holding it in place. Then you can use a pliers to twist the stinger a little. Try not to mar the threads.

5. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

Sweet thanks! I just straightened it. Super easy. Got a few marks on stinger but nothing I cant clean up with some sand paper and a bit of patience

6. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

I am really liking that shorty KW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.