1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Empty can?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dutchking22, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Am I the only one who recycles the old empty tubs of Baccy? I wash out the tub before adding more to it. It saves space and time, if you ask me!

2. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Sales Account

That's quite a good idea, I have an old empty tin sitting that I could use.

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Never reused them for tobby, but I used to keep empty tins to put small screws, nuts, and other small stuff in.

Capt likes this.
  4. Capt

Capt Active Member

There was an article in Field and Stream about making a complete survival kit that fit inside of a square tobacco can. When out hunting, I carry a tin with things like matches, water tabs, etc.

Damon and Mark w4mms like this.
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I put small samples that come in baggies in them. I also use the little square ones to put a couple bowls worth in before I get in my pickup. I've also used them to mail samples to someone to keep it fresh and undamaged.

6. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Approximately how long does a tin of baccy stay fresh once the seal is broken?

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

I've had a 100g Dunhill 965 tin open for several weeks and it's still fresh although a bit drier...just the way I prefer it.
    And I keep my old tobacco tins to store my bulk tobacco in as the bulk comes in plastic bags.

8. Capt

Capt Active Member

It depends. I have a tin of Firedance I opened back in 07, and it's still moist. However, I have a tin of Chocolate flake, open last year, that dried out in a matter of weeks.

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I usually kill a tin of ABF in 5-6 weeks. The last couple of flakes tend to be a bit dry, but still smokable. Some tins seem to hold moisture better than others, and some tobaccos seems to as well.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The round tins that are threaded seem to keep tobacco for a good while . Square press down types are pretty lame , imo . I basicly wipe out a tin in a couple of weeks from opening but they will last longer than that , most blends anyway . Some do dry pretty quick as was said . You can always toss the tobacco in a mason jar . They'll keep a good long time . How long depends on if you check it after a while . If for some reason a blend is dry while being in a jar for a while .... you can always pop one of these in ... http://wvsmokeshop.com/tobaccomoistners.aspx

11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Now ya tell me... I have been buying 4 oz Mason jars for my samples,

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

How long do you leave the little tin inside the jar?

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Heck , I dont know .. at least long enough to bring the blend back to where you want it . I submerge them for a few mins and then dry them off and toss it on top of the blend . Give it a few days then check out where it's at . I basicly just leave them in there but sometimes that will get the blend moist

14. Iain

Iain Active Member

I saw some instructions for how to build a miniature drawer cabinet using old square tobacco tins, it was in a 1950's book, would be perfect for keeping things organised in the shed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.