1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

English Blend and other questions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by gunnerz, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunnerz

gunnerz Member

Is there a guide to English Blends that anyone has found helpful? Or maybe you can answer my questions:

1) I'm looking to move into the English blends because, though I'm still quite the beginner (I've only smoked 2 oz. each of Velvet, Half & Half, Granger, Walnut, Sugar Barrel, and Carter Hall - in that order, if it matters), I'm looking to try some tobaccos that much stronger. However, unless someone specifically recommends a blend as an English blend, I don't know what I'm looking for. I was surveying what I take to be some of the most recommended English blends from Dunhill and I find that they are composed of tobaccos of varying sorts that include: (Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental, Virginia, Perique and Turkish). Some have only one or two of those tobaccos, some have a completely different set of another one or two tobaccos, some have combinations of three or four of those tobaccos...and I'm left scratching my head about what an English blend is.

In other words, I hear or read people talking about Virginias, Latakias, Orientals and so on, yet these English blends have combinations of those tobaccos. I understand that we're talking about a blend, but what makes the blend particularly English? Are there examples of other blends that are not English and what makes the distinction?

2) Is is true, as a general rule, English blends are the strongest blends of the different varieties?

3) If English blends are not the strongest blends, which blends are stronger?

4) What are some good English blends that I should start out with?

5) What are some good English blends that I should progress to, if those aren't the same as those I should start out with? (I'm prompted to ask this question because I've watch a couple of YouTube reviews that suggest a person should never start out with Dunhill Nightcap as their first English, yet this English is very highly recommend).

6) Are there any guides to pairing tobaccos with drink? My beverages with tobacco are almost always one of the following: cafe au lait, black coffee, PBR (occasionally other cheap/swill beer varieties), Guinness Extra Stout or straight bourbon. I'd love to get some ideas, other than trial and error, to sort out how to mix and match for the best results.

Thanks and cheers!

David Emond, mecompco and YAPPG like this.
  2. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

I was an aro smoker at first until a friend introduced me to English blends. One of my personal favorites is Kramer's Tobacco in Bev Hills Cal.
    kramerstobacco.com

My friend introduced me to their English blend and their Fr Dempsey blend. Love them both tremendousely! He also just let me sample their New Mixture which is a little lighter than Fr Dempsey. NIIIICCCCEEEE!!!

Check them out. GREAT story about them and they are fantastic people!

David Emond and Rodfather like this.
  3. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I would recommend one of the Frogs. Once you get a handle on that you will probably be ready for more of the complex English blends if that the direction you want to take. Many are partial to straight Virginia blends, not me although. You might also try some of the great Burleys from C&D , Uhle's and Peretti's. Go slow and enjoy the ride.

4. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Define "strong" -- strong as in flavor, or strong as in nicotine? Or do you mean something else entirely?

For recommendations, use the "search" box -- there are many "recommend an english blend" or "your favorite english blend" threads. Here's just one to get you started: http://pipesmokersforum.com/communi...t-in-your-opinion-english-blends-around.6168/

Here is some reading about "English" blends: http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco/english-blends-and-latakia-blends-one-in-the-same/

For tobacco and drink combinations, try these: http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/specific-tobacco-and-drink-combos-that-work.29513/
    http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/favorite-tobacco-and-drink-combo.28832/

5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I started with a number of blends that old hands oft declared were not for newbies. It depends entirely on the newbie in question.

English blends are NOT necessarily the strongest going in taste or nic content, not by a long shot. When talking about what is 'strong' you must first separate strong taste from amount of nicotine in a blend. They really are not the same thing. A brown rope will often have more nicotine than a stronger tasting black rope made from the same tobacco. Some of the nicotine is lost to the heat process that turns the tobacco black and oily. Resulting in stronger taste with less nicotine. If you are looking for a stronger vitamin N hit, then burley points the way.

Check out the links provided by JRobert. They will answer some questions and pose new ones.

As RodFather suggested, Frog Morton is a good tobacco for making the transition from aros to English style tobaccos. Most so called English blends are a combination of Virginia with Latakia and other so-called Oriental or Turkish tobaccos, the ratios being unique to each blender.

Rodfather, dwaugh, dBear and 2 others like this.
  6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

As RodFather suggested. I would try the frog Morton blend from Mcclellands 1st. Its a English/Aro hybrid and is a good intro into the English world. If you want to skip this, I suggest a light English blend, Dunhill 965 would be a great intro into the English world.

Rodfather, dBear and MacNutz like this.
  7. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

+1 for what David said. Dunhill 965 was an early intro to English blends for me. I still like it when not withering my face with Lat bombs.

David Emond likes this.
  8. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Don't forget the Peter Stokkebye english blends (Proper English, English Oriental Supreme, and English Luxury). All good (IMO) and inexpensive in bulk. Also check out the "What are you smoking" thread, then go to tobaccoreviews.com and look up the blends you see others enjoying.

9. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

The nicotine from English blends is usually very mild, but the room note ain't gonna win you any friends.

That said, I really enjoy 'em. +1 on the Frogs and Proper English. My first lat blend was McClelland bulk #5125, which is pretty good if you can find it.

Rodfather and David Emond like this.
  10. gunnerz

gunnerz Member

Thanks for the tobacco and thread recommendations. That's very helpful. To clarify, by strong I mean strong taste.

David Emond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.