English blend - Another try?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ocipio, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocipio

ocipio Member

So I love my Virginia's. FVF, Hal O' The Wynd, Blackwoods Flake, etc.

A year ago I bought my first English blend. G.L. Pease Westminster. Smelled like a campfire when I opened it. What makes it smell that way? I packed a pipe and instantly hated the taste. Turned my stomach. I can only guess that is the Latakia. Reminded me of walking into a bathroom full of urinal cakes.

I put the lid on and forgot about it. Last night (a year later), I tried it again, mixing in about 20% Irish flake. It still isn't my thing, but it wasn't as bad as it was freshly opened.

Are there any other english blends you might recommend? I am tempted to try Frog Morton by the Bayou, but not sure if that is what I should be picking up.

Thoughts?

2. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

That is how it starts. Then you will pull it out again. And then you'll get a little urge for some more and next thing you know you will post a thread titled 'Which blends have the most latakia?'. You are on the edge of the abyss.

TheMadMan, Rodfather and Sasquatch like this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'd do Frog Morton on the Town as a good introduction to that side of things. It's easy to get along with.

Steve Dennis, Ol Brokedik and Mington like this.
  4. Russ

Russ Member

Lord Fairfax by Altadis, or English Luxury by PS. Both sold in bulk so you can just buy an ounce of each to try them out.

Mington likes this.
  5. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

So I love my Virginia's. FVF, Hal O' The Wynd, Blackwoods Flake, etc.

A year ago I bought my first English blend. G.L. Pease Westminster. Smelled like a campfire when I opened it. What makes it smell that way?

Latakia. G. L. Pease is my #1 go-to maker. It is the (IMHO) last bastian of American tobacco flavors. English Blends or anything w. latakia in it will smell like that. That's how latakia is cured, sun cured then a long time over smokey fires. Some people like it. (I love it, lol) Leaves a room note of church incense some say.

Are there any other english blends you might recommend? I am tempted to try Frog Morton by the Bayou, but not sure if that is what I should be picking up.

G.L. Pease Chelsea Morning. Gentle. Flavorful. Subtle. Great w. coffee.

Thoughts?

Enjoy!

Sasquatch likes this.
  6. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Ditto!!

OBD.

7. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Wow, we are polar opposites, I love Latakia and despise most straight Virginia's, they seem spicy, biting, and remind me of cigarettes, GLP Westminster is one of my favorite blends ;)

8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

One of my favorites is MacB HH Vintage Syrian.
    I have just tried 1776 Tavern, a nice sample courtesy of Ming. This stuff is supposed to be an English blend. For me it's a very mild blend. So, maybe for someone starting out, it just might be a good English starter. I have had 2 bowls and think it's good and very mild..

9. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

LOL.. This post sounds like someone is talking about me. (LOL)

After smoking a few samples of Latakia blends i received from Russ. I became a big Lat junkie and is now forever scouring the web to see who has what i like instock.

10. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I'm not a huge latakia fan, but I like it every now and then. Try McClelland 5125.

11. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

FMOTB is a good blend to try. Not too strong.

12. raf66

raf66 Member

I'm not a huge lat smoker (I say, as I sit here smoking some 3 Oaks Syrian) but I'd recommend the original Frog Morton. I enjoy it as a nice introductory English blend with lat as a central component.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.