English Blends with an Aromatic

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by tbiley, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbiley

tbiley Member

Yesterday I went to a local tobacconist and picked up their popular house blend (delicious stuff but that's another story). I read some history about the store and I found out that Cary Grant actually went there to pick up his blends. The tobacconist told me he smoked their medium English blend with a little Irish aromatic (smelled wonderful).

So I was wondering, how many of you ever tried an English blend that has an aromatic tobacco in it? I did not pick up this blend, but I'm planning to after my winter break. Is there such a blend that tastes like an English but its aroma is different?

2. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

3. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Sillems black. I've not tried it myself yet, but it sounds really good.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

There's lots of "crossover" blends, with latakia and Virginia and a topping of some kind.

Gawith's Perfection is one of these... Maltese Falcon from Pease..... Something like Chesdin from Benjamin Hartwell...McClelland's new "Legends" may have a subtle essence... might just be the toby but I don't think so. It's magnificent anyhow.

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

C&D's Black Frigate is a nice lat blend with a bit of rum flavor from the Navy Cavendish. It has a bit of sweetness which I really look for in an English blend. Speaking of I need to add a few more tins to my next TAD list.

6. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

St. Ives from Esoterica fits the bill, as does Pembroke. There are also several "American-English" tobaccos that fit the bill such as Dr. Bradley from Iwan Ries and Epiphany from C&D and even the popular Voodoo Queen from Altadis.

Some of these I like a lot. Some I don't mind. One (it happens to be St. Ives) I'm really not fond of.

7. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I mix Sutliff Sunrise Smoke (a mild English) with Villiger 1888 Mid-Day (butterscotch aromatic) and smoke it every morning. Very tasty mix. That reminds me: I need to order some more of both.

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Look at the Pipe Works & Wilke stuff.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

IRC Dr. Bradley is a really nice crossover . Mostly I dont care for them but the Dr. is really done well

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

4noggins has Britt's Balkan. Never had it, but it seems to be rated ok over at TR.

11. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I was sitting on this stuff for a few months before I dried it. I agree, great blend. Just enough vinalla to let you know its there, but not enough to over power the english.

12. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Personally when I choose Aros I prefer the WOL line. I think WOL is at least as good and a lot cheaper than the Sillem's line. YMMV....

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+ 1 bigtime . The 1864 is really tops as well as the signature and Old fashioned . they are all super " clean " aro's of high quality

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.