English & Oriental smokes tasting a bit salty.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ol Brokedik, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I think this has been mentioned before, I can't remember where. I'm getting a salty taste while I smoke any English or Oriental. I've never experienced this taste before. I get this in both my briars and meerschaums. Every stem is thoroughly cleaned with pipe cleaners and water after my smoke. I've converted every pipe stem from vulcanite to acrylic.

This has got to do with my body chemistry, I'm sure. I really don't mind, as I like the salty taste. I enjoy it because it's more flavor from my favorite smokes.

Q. Anybody else get this taste?

OBD.

2. Beale

Beale Active Member

Not me but I may be to new on the Oriential? Beale.

3. Redone

Redone Member

YES! I'm glad you brought this up. I didn't have the salty taste at first but lately
    i have when smoking Lat blends.Its weird, not unpleasant, but where is it coming from?

4. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I've only noticed it with SPC Plum Pudding, but others on TR reported the same so I didn't think anything of it. I don't know where the saltiness comes from but I can validate your experience tho' I don't notice it with all English/Orientals.

5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I think I have noticed the taste you are talking about when smoking Presbyterian Mixture. It got me thinking about taste buds, which got me to wikipedia, taste, and finally a taste called Umami (which I had never heard of). Soy sauce is supposed to have it (along with salt), so while getting ready in the morning I tried a few drops of soy sauce. After the salty blast past I got a... well something akin to sourish (not really, but I can't think of a better word) on the sides of my tongue and back of the throat that lasted for at least 15 minutes. I did a google search for "Umami and latakia" and it seems to have come up before in regard to pipes. I'm not suggesting that Presbyterian Mixture tastes like soy sauce (I like both anyway) but I wonder if this Umami taste is a part of what we are getting? -David

6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Yeah, I get a hint of saltiness in Presby but it is very slight and, somehow, it does taste natural.

7. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Umami is considered the fifth essential flavour by the Japanese, and it actually means "full". The flavour itself is not actually salt, but glutamates, which basically rounds out other flavours (and increases the production of saliva) while providing a very mild salty flavour. In soy sauce, the base sodium content is through the roof; although most contain either MSG or DSG, the Umami flavours are very subtle (to the point of non-existant). Huh, guess I didn't waste all those years studying food sciences...

Sorry that doesn't really help with the salty flavour in your lat blends...I'm wondering if perhaps a batch of tobacco was cured differently?

8. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Schmitz Blitz, So you don't think umami flavors may be involved. I picked soy sauce because of the MSG. Also doesn't ketchup (I know it's also high in salt) (which I've seen used a number of times to describe some tobacco tastes) have some similar glutamate compounds? I guess I'm wondering if the umami taste receptors are involved? From wikipedea "Umami has a mild but lasting after taste difficult to describe. It induces salivation and a furriness sensation on the tongue, stimulating the throat, the roof and the back of the mouth" I fell I might be getting some of this, I'm not sure if this is what OBD is talking about.... -David

9. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Sorry Dwaugh, I didn't really mean to imply that I don't think it could be umami flavours involved - I was trying to point out that Umami is actually a flavour modifier, and actually provides more of a physical reaction than an actual flavour. Ceratinly, ketchup (and most other condiments) do contain the base components of umami, glutimates and ribonucleotides, and, since the ribonucleotides are a naturally occuring amino acid found in most plant and animal matter, its not much of a stretch to say that these will be found in tobacco as well.

If you want to try a neat experiment with Umami flavours, get yourself some parmesian cheese (a product which contains around 1700mg of free glutimates per 100g, making it one of the most "Umami rich" foods) and some Lee and Perrins. If you sample the cheese on its own, you will get the nutty richness of parm, while the Lee and Perrins will give you the tangy sour bite...however, if you combine the two, the Umami flavours prevalent in both will combine to completely change the flavour profile into some strange, wonderful hybrid. I guess one could say that Umami is the perique of flavours, it can smooth out some flavours, while bringing a sour bite to others.

The reason I figured it was a change in the leaf itself was because this seems to be restricted to newer tins, I've not heard of anyone saying their 3 year old tin of X English is salty...which, of course, doesn't mean that they aren't out there, I just haven't found em!

10. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

The strange thing about this is, just a couple of weeks ago, I was enjoying a sweet taste from the same tobaccos. I'm not going to complain. This is just another pleasant surprise from my smokes. I'm just wondering why I got such a remarkable change in flavor, so fast. Eventually, I think the salty taste will be replaced by a sweet taste again. Anyway, It's all good.

Smokin' anything that will burn.
    Ol Brokedik.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.