English tobacco line

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Amalgam, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amalgam

Amalgam Member

Hello all,

I started a year or so ago to smoke pipe and all I have learned so far I have learned it here in this forum. I started with Prince Albert As many of you recommend for beginers, then I jumped to some samples with aros and some English blends in Bulk that were kind of a tour of flavors, and finally I went to the brand names like Peterson, Mclelland, Mac baren. So far I have had the best experience only with the English blends; Legends (McLelland) and Vintage syrian (Mac Baren)Is it possible that as a pipe smoker I do not like any other tobacco blends but English blends? I have the Mixture Scotish blend that I feel is "OK", the Burley London Blend that bites pretty good, and the Peterson Sherlock Holmes that leaves a real "weed" after taste in my mouth. Any input in this matters could help to either refine my palate or decide if it is "normal" to like only English blends. As always Thank you for all you guys have shared with me.

Alfredo

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

You know, honestly what I often say is true - there are few hard and fast rules to this game. Does everybody like the same beer or wine - of course not. A friend of mine once posted that if we were all the same everyone would be smoking Carter Hall in a Billiard, and of course we don't.

Tastes can change, but don't always and there is a lot to be said for sticking with tobaccos you enjoy - been with Benson and Hedges Mellow Virginia and Craven Aromatic since the early 70s and they are still in my rotation as is St. Bruno which has been in there even longer.

Experiment if you want to, or stick with the taste family you enjoy - it really doesn't matter so long as you like it!

Happy smoking

Gerry

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Worry not, it's actually strange if you like anything but English.

Seriously, I jones for a good VA (Germains Brown Flake, Christmas Cheer '06, etc) about twice a year. Other than that, 7 or 8 English blends are what I go for.

Your tastes will change many times through the years, don't sweat it. Just enjoy it.

4. r0n54

r0n54 Member

I just recently picked up the pipe again after many years of smoking cigars and have found it to be a great joy and relaxing experience. I started on aromatics, but quickly moved on to english blends from mild Frog Morton OTT to higher latakia content Bill Bailys Balkan Blend, or Maltese Falcon. I have found that I really like the latakia hit and overall flavor profile of english blends. At this point I enjoy them to where I dont care to stray and experiment much, after a while I know I will want try others, and they are there waiting. I agree that you should smoke what you like and not be concerned about it as long as it pleases you. Thats what it is all about enjoyment...........

5. Hothog

Hothog Member

I live in S Africa and was exposed to English and very good S African tobies. I suppose that's because of Dunhill Pipes that we get here and all the rest of the English stuff, but I find the English pipe-smoking culture very desireable, not that the USA isn't but we don't get any USA goods here.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Sounds to me like ya favor English blends . No worries man . Theres a couple of English blends I like .. PS English Oriental Supreme and IRC Royal .I used to like them more in the past but I guess things change . In time you may bend to a diff tobacco style or not .. either way it's cool . Hopefully , you got alot of years yet to go .. ya never know whats ahead !

7. jhe888

jhe888 Member

To repeat a cliche, it is what it is. Smoke what you enjoy. It is worth trying something new, because your tastes can change, and sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

8. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

When it comes to our taste in tobacco I usually compare it to our taste in music. We may have been brought up liking the likes of the Beatles but then years later U2 or Dylan, but we still enjoy listening to the Beatles. Or another way, we may enjoy country, Wilie Nelson or Kris Kristoferson, but may at times when the mood takes us, listen to Beethoven or Verdi. I find its the same with tobacco and even pipes. Although I do tend these days to favour what I prefer to call 'latakia blends' rather than English or Balkan as there are so many variations on the theme so to say.

9. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

One of the joys of pipe tobacco is sampling the all different styles, just like wine , women, and music.........well 2 out of 3 anyway

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Given the wealth of latakia/english fans on this thread, may I pose this question: do latakia/english mixtures taste better in:
    a. briar
    b. meerschaum
    c. corn cob
    d. clay

Fire away gents! :bing:

11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Sorry, only smoke briars

12. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

I prefer my briars but even this can vary, some tobaccos are more suited to certain bowl / pipe types or bowl / pipe sizes. Again everything is subjective and one persons tastes will be different than others. I tend to reserve my meers for the VA blends. I don't yet have the pleasure of owning a corn cob but am beginning to think maybe I should.

13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Briar.

14. r0n54

r0n54 Member

Only smoke briars at this time...

15. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

When I started smoking a pipe, I only wanted to smoke Latakia blends for many years. In the past 5 years or so I've rarely smoked anything with Latakia in it. Tastes change, but there is certainly nothing wrong with having a taste for one kind of blend or even one blend forever.

16. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Hey Alfredo,
    I know what you mean. I started on aros (like a lot of us) and in the past year I feel like I've been settling into predominantly English blends. I still smoke a bit of everything but lately, it's predominantly English blends and I feel like it might stay that way, at least for the foreseeable future. Who knows, though, I've been thinking about trying some of the stronger blends, like plugs and ropes. Whatever I'm smoking, though, I always think "man, this is good." ...unless it's really bad (haha)

17. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I feel lats & orientals smoke & taste best in meers. Of course I only smoke lats/orientals in either cobs or meers......

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.