English vs Balkan vs Oriental vs Scottish

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dondi, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Here's something I found written by Russ (blendtobac on PSF) which I think makes lots of sense: http://store.pipesandcigars.com/oublca.html

The descriptions of Russ are similar to what I've found from my experience, and it has helped me keep blends in their proper pipes (i.e. I minimize smoking an english blend in an oriental pipe, or a balkan blend in a scottish pipe) so that I get the intended flavor from the baccy, and not from a ghost in the pipe :bing:

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'd come across this article before Dondi, and found it quite useful as in Britain we don't really use those terms. We tend to lump them all together under the interchangeable, to us, names of either "Balkans" or "Orientals."

The use of the term Scottish Mixture, presumeably comes from an attempt to sub-classify and uses Prebyterian Mixture as a standard (???) - I'm guessing?

If asked to define a de facto Scottish Mixture, in my life and my father's - I'd have quoted a strong empire virginia cased and topped and supplied in either a moist bar or flake form such as Revor - the original was knocked out in the Scottish Co-operative Movement's Factory in Glasgow; but I accept the deinition as mentioned in the article for ease of International Communication!

Best to all

Gerry

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I have always struggled with these labels. An old Scot just gave his definition of a Scottish blend, and it's nothing like Russ's. I don't argue with old Scots!

I would consider Lancer Slices to be an English, latakia and virginias. That's an easy one. But what about P&W 400? Latakia, turkish, burley, perique and virginias. I taste the lat and the yenidje, and call it an Oriental, Russ would call it a Balkan, and someone else who has a different palate will pick up the lat and burley and call it an American English!

This stuff is way to open to interpretation and taste for me to get a handle on it.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I can't get a handle on this either. My pipes seem to be either Lat pipes, aro/'scented' pipes, or other....VA, etc. The sub-classes are blurred by half the blends out there, so I have (yet) to worry about making hard distinctions. As an aspiring snob, it will probably happen, though.

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Nor I. I've come to believe there is no handle to get. Complications arise further along the road trying to nail down what "aromatic" means. We have a weird hobby when it comes to identifying one of only two principal elements. We have no governing body, a bunch of sailors got involved early on and now all pipesmokers run wild in the streets calling their tobacco anything that pleases them.

On the other hand, I believe we're rock solid on words like "briar", "bristle pipecleaner" and "tamper".

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Oh, trust me Yin, I am a completely offensive snob, and I still can't bring myself to conform to these categories.

Dondi, I think that you are on to a good way of looking at them. I never paid enough attention, and ultimately just learned by taste what blends could co-mingle in a pipe. At this point, I have a couple of pipes that have only had one blend in them, but ultimately anything that I smoke frequently could go in any pipe. I do have a couple of pipes set aside for Virginias, and a couple for Escudo and LBF, but they don't get much use.

7. Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck Member

As an amateur I found that very helpful as although I'm starting to work out what I like I am a little confused with the English vs balkan vs oriental, that helped clear it up. But like Jp said from my TAD research there seems to be quite a few blends out there that contain 'the lot'.

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Jon, I think what would really complete my education at this point is a taste of that P&W 400 that you're always posting about [​IMG]

9. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

It's YUMMY!!!!! :rock:

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Can't be...Sasquatch hasn't pushed it on anybody. ;)

11. Brian

Brian Member

Here is how I segregate my pipes:

Latakia Pipes -- For English and Balkan blends, ones with Latakia as the dominant flavor

Virginia Pipes -- I only smoke pure VA's in these. The flavors are so subtle, ghosting would be a serious problem I think. If smoked more pure Burleys, I would also have a Burley Pipe.

Aromatic Pipes -- I don't smoke much aromatic, but if I did, I would group them into similar flavors like Vanilla or Cherry or whatever else you like.

Cavendish Pipes -- This might be an odd category to some, but I have a pipe that I keep separate for tobaccos like Club Blend, OGS, MacB Mixture Modern and other burley / danish style cavendish blends, mostly where the danish cavendish is the condiment (not talking about sweet vanilla aromatic black cavendish).

Perique Pipes -- VaPer's only, like Escudo and Anniversary Kake

That's my personal mental organization of tobacco styles. It seems to keep the ghosting to a minimum. I am hard pressed to smoke the same tobacco all the time. I like to change depending on my mood for the day.

The term "Scottish Blend" is really hard to pin down IMO. But I have two characteristics in mind:

1. It is generally a mixture of many different leaves (like described on the label for McB Scottish Blend), different burleys and some VA

2. It has a touch of cavendish in it.

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

My routine for segregating my peepz is fairly simple:

Cobz - anything

Meerz - anything

Briarz - mainly va's, va blendz, with an occasional variance off the straight & narrow. Like a burley/burley blend.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Afraid I'm something like Ed but just a bit worse - my system is that day's pipe gets that day's tobacco whatever!

Don't necessarily advocate that system but it has worked for me for some years!

Best

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.