Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

My fellow pipe smokers.

I like Cavendish. In fact, I like it more than anything else in the Toby world. I've tried a few Virginia blends and they really just don't do it for me. My question is, what's different about English blends, and what are the odds, based on my current pallet, that I'll like English blends?

Happy Smoking
    Arty

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE:

Some English-esque blends contain cavendish, but it won't be the sweetened cav most think of.

Proper English blends contain Virginias, Orientals, and Latakia.

Latakia is the most noteworthy component as it has a very strong and particular flavor, unique in the tobacco world. It is smoke cured over beds of smouldering aromatic herbs. If I'm correct, the most important is stone pine.

I most often would compare Latakia to Scotch in terms of flavours people may be familiar with. Scotch whisky has a strong flavour of peat smoke, and Latakia has a strong flavour of pine/herb smoke. The two "smokey" flavours are quite different, but the impact on the blend is very significant.

Latakia blends have a campfire/leather/incense type smell and flavor, deep, earthy, pungent and (to many) indulgent.

If the cavs you're smoking are generally sweet aromatics, an English blend would be a big jump from that. That doesn't mean you wouldnt like it, but it might take a lot of getting used to.

Theres one English/aro crossover blend I've been wanting to try. A latakia blend with a chocolate flavoring. It sounds great to me, and something like that might be good for "getting your feet wet" in the world of Latakia blends.

Beale and Dunlibi like this.
  3. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Try a Scottish blend, an English with some cavendish. Rattray does several of them.

4. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

+1
    I was trying to understand my love of Latakia, Nesta has defined it perfectly It's like a peaty single malt, a western island whisky.
    Light bulb moment. Kerching!!!
    A special occasion 'treat'.
    I really am pleased that I have found the link to my liking of Latakia.
    Thanks Nesta.

Beale likes this.
  5. shadow

shadow Active Member

One of the best English blends is Dunhill 965. You get your Cavendish and Latakia... Bliss!!!!!:)
    I'm sure you'll like it!

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

I am finding that I love Latakia. I have not smoked much Aros since tasting it. I do like others also!! Love the discoveries! Beale.

Dunlibi likes this.
  7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I think it comes down to; try it, you might like it!

I thought that I was going to be into aromatics primarily, and I do enjoy them especially when smoking around people who don't smoke. I was really surprised at how some tobaccos that are not flavored seem even sweeter and more flavorful to my palette. My favorite and go to tobacco is Frog Morton on the Bayou, and I'm amazed that when packed right it is the sweetest tobacco I've tried! I don't know if that is a body chemistry thing or what, but I really enjoy nice natural blends.

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Depends on whay you mean by cavendish. That's a really slippery word. If you buy Frog Morton, Dunhill 965 and Club Blend all because they have "cavendish" you'll realize that you've been tricked. I'm going to assume you mean sweet black cavendish. Given that I used to smoke nothing but, and now mostly smoke English, I'm going to say that as your palate matures, it could easily happen.

For a real sweet intro to latakia, grab a tin of Frog Morton. Sweet, rich, smooth. I think you'll be impressed.

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

Beale, there's a tobacco out there for every mood and taste, and them some! It can be mind boggling to a new smoker!

Dunlibi likes this.
  10. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

I discovered Latakia early on in my piping thanks to my tobacconist, she asked a simple question.
    Do you like spicy or sweet food?
    I do find most tobaccos pleasant, I've been trying a few. Now I'm down to a few, (I hope)
    Squadron Leader I do like a lot.
    Condor and St Bruno are honestly brilliant.
    A churchwarden with pure Latakia, utter bliss, truly an after dinner smoke.
    All the above are evening smokes
    Through the day has to be a blend, 5 parts kentucky nougat 1 part latakia.
    As Marc says it is mind boggling for us new smokers.
    My Bidey-in thinks I'm mental.
    P.S.
    Must admit I'm not too keen on Cavendish or Danish blends

Beale likes this.
  11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Arty, I'd say give Frog Morton original a shot and then try 965. FM is not exactly a crossover blend, and it doesn't have any Captain Black-esque taste, but it does have what I think must be some steamed black leaf in there that has a very smooth, creamy, faintly sweet flavor that I consider cavendishy. It also has some nice latakia and traditional english notes in there too. I bet you'll like it.

12. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Alright! Sweet! I've got a hit list for my next TAD. Based on what everybody says I think i'm gonna like it. One other question, how bad is the nicotine hit? I really don't like strong toby, it has a tendency to make me turn colours and ralf.

13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

FM shouldn't be anything to worry about. I may have a higher nicotine tolerance, but FM has never given me a noticeable buzz. If you consider yourself particularly N-sensitive, best advice is to try a new blend after a good meal and puff patiently. Again, though, FM is a pretty easy-going tobacco as far as I can tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.