Erinmore Flake 100g tin?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by GlassEye, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I picked up a 100g tin of Erinmore Flake at a shop a year or two ago and have realized that I have never seen the 100g tins available anywhere else. I have checked around on the internet and not seen anything.

Does anyone know why the 100g tins are not typically found?

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

And you're certain it's Erinmore Flake and not Erinmore Mixture? I've seen the 100g tins of Mixture, but I didn't know they made them for flake.

3. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

[​IMG]
    Made in Denmark for Peter Stokkebye
    Distributed by Villiger Stokkebye

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

crazy....it's even got the Murray Sons & Co. script at the top....if it weren't for you saying that it says made in Denmark for Peter Stokkebye, I'd say maybe you stumbled on a tin of the old stuff....

5. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I thought the current tins still said Maurray Sons & Co?

It just has a sticker on the back that has the Stokkebye info, would it be possible that some remaining Murray stock was distributed by Stokkebye?

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

That may very well be possible, or when they got the name they may have inherited all old related material goods including old tins that hadn't been filled and may have chosen to fill the old tins with new tobacco rather than waste the tins. If that were the case it would have likely been an earlier run of the Danish Erinmore at least. I don't know when PS got the brand, but that may make a difference.

[​IMG]
    This is a (relatively) recently purchased tin, I received it on February 28th of 2012, so I got it a year and a few months ago. As you can see the logo is updated somewhat from what it used to look like - the pineapple is different and more prominent, the crest or whatever you'd call the wide shield-shaped thing looks different (shading near the bottom, inner line is light instead of dark, etc.), and while it does still say "John Murray" it's a replicated signature on bottom right and does not bear the words "Murray Sons & Co. Limited" at the top. For what it's worth, this is obviously a 50g tin, so I don't know what the original 50g tins looked like but this is different even from the other Stokkebye-made Erinmore I've bought in the past.

I don't know what all was going on with the company, but I recall a few months or so ago there was some sort of transition with distribution or production or something over at Peter Stokkebye, and PS products dried up stateside for a while. My tin's back label says Made in Denmark for Peter Stokkebye blah blah blah and lists the importer and distributor as Villiger Stokkebye International, Charlotte, NC, www.vscigar.com . If yours say something different, that may be a clue, but like I said I don't know much about what was happening with Stokkebye, and I doubt that it's related.

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh, I apologize for my attire, it's in the 90s and I don't have air conditioning.

8. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Thanks for the info.
    That's excusable, it is nearing sunset and still over 90 here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.