Erinmore?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user3610, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3610

user3610 Member

Finally took the risk & bought my first tin (Nutty Cut) instead of just purchasing bulk samples. I love it & now have my eye on a tin of Erinmore- based on a sniff from my local shop. They only offer a large tin- so I'm going to purchase a smaller one online.

I'm noticing there are 2 types I'm interested in: "Mixture" and "Flake".

Can anyone explain the difference or suggest either?

-Matt

2. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I have only smoked the mixture, but have a tin of flake in the cellar. I actually didn't much care for the mixture. It reminded me a bit of Stanwell Melange in terms of the fruity flavour, but I would far rather smoke the Stanwell. I have heard that the flake is superior to the mixture, as seems to be the case with other blends. If there was an option I would always go for the flake version of a blend - the only reason I may buy a mixture/ready-rubbed over a flake is that they are sold in 25 gram packs, and flake versions are only sold in 50 gram packs here.

3. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Erinmore= OMG!!...........WTF!!!

I can't drink scotch either.

RTOdhner and DocB like this.
  4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Flake is 10 times better (or more) than the mixture.
    IMO

5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I like both. The word on the internet is that they are "totally different". I don't get that, but I have not smoked them side by side. So, based on experience David, I would say they are fairly similar. "Repeat was he has heard on the internet parrot David" would say they are very different.

6. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Oh, yea, what Ming said :laff:

7. muddler

muddler Active Member

I was given a tin of Erinmore mixture early in the year. It found it's way into my fishing bag - I smoke it at the water. Uncomplicated, good smoke with fruit flavour very much in the background. If my friend gives me more, I'll gratefully accept but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy more. Orlik Golden Sliced is my preferred fishing tobacco.

RTOdhner likes this.
  8. DocB

DocB Active Member

Both Mixture and Flake are good IMO, but the flake seems better. More of a natural tobacco taste, and it seems to burn much better than the ribbon cut version. I wouldn't turn down either, but would probably spend money on the flake.

9. redskull13

redskull13 Member

I've smoked both. I like the flake a bit better than the mixture.
    I have a large mason jar full of mixture and no flake.
    So I guess that's saying something there.... am gonna whittle the mixture down a bit in that mason jar before I buy anymore flake.

10. Goat

Goat Active Member

I bought a tin of flake a few weeks ago. Smoked it all in about two weeks. :thu2:

RTOdhner, ruffinogold and TedVig like this.
  11. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I've got about four tins of flake just waiting to be opened... Might have to do that right quick.

12. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I haven't tried the mixture but I love the flake. So much so that I have no desire to get the mix.

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I dislike both of them with the fire of a thousand suns but the flake is preferable. It seems to perform better than the mixture and seems more natural tasting. I would disagree with the "totally different" thing but they do have subtle differences.

Ol Brokedik and ruffinogold like this.
  14. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Now that's a serious dislike... ;)

15. dmkerr

Ah, not really. I don't dislike them anywhere near as much as I do Paladin or Neil Diamond's music. :D

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I totally dont understnad your taste Dm , lol , I just cant imagine whats so bad about Erinmore flake :eek: But thats what makes the world go round and it's good :) If it were all about me , for example , their would be no such thing as a Lakeland sauce . Whatever ingredients are used in it's making , I'd have banished . Well , I couldnt do that cause I guess .... mankind needs soap , just not for smoking .

RTOdhner likes this.
  17. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Ah, you may have just enlightened me. I though Erinmore did have the Lakeland sauce. If it does not, I may have to give it a shot. I'm with you on smoking geranium-Ivory blends!

18. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Not Lakeland, Juicy Fruit. Erinore Flake has the sauce of chewing gum.

I prefer Flake to Mixture. But I prefer flakes in almost all cases, anyhow.

RTOdhner and BradNTX like this.
  19. dmkerr

If you taste soap in Lakelands, I don't get your taste, either! :D The only time I tasted soap was when I was bad and no way I'd ever want to do that again! :fpalm: But yes, different tastes are what makes the world go 'round. I was a big Lakeland hater for a long time and then it just hit me. Now I can't get enough! But I couldn't smoke any one style to the exclusion of all others, which again is what makes the world go 'round - variety! :beck:

But don't go developing a taste for Lakelands - I have a hard enough time finding them in stock! I don't need anymore competition.

ruffinogold likes this.
  20. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Damn straight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.