Escudo Navy Deluxe

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Indianapuff, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indianapuff

Indianapuff Member

Hello everybody,
    I was just wondering on how different people prepare the above tobacco for smoking. Do you rub it out fully, just stuff it in, smoke in a cob, briar, dry it out, smok it moist, or anything else I didn't mention? As we all know the flavor of a tobacco can sometimes depend on the preparation, and pipe smoked in, and I was wanting to find out which combination brings out the best flavor for YOU, and thats what I want to know what works for you. I'm sure there will plenty of different responses, and anyone that responds thanks for you input.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I rub it out and if I have time, I let it dry a touch 20 min-ish +/- and commence to burnin' haven't folded & stuffed yet. May have to try that and see.....

Try it the ways that interest you and rings your bell the loudest. :)

Ed
    Puff

3. Beale

Beale Active Member

On this one? I try to make little balls and then put them in my pipes? I dunno seems to work well. Very good tobacco! Beale.

WillH likes this.
  4. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I smoke all my Navy and English blends in a cob, I think they taste best that way. I do have one briar dedicated to such blends. It is all a matter of personal taste.

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I've tried it both rubbed and stuffed, and I tend to prefer it rubbed, if only for the burn characteristics. Excellent taste either way.

Nice to see you back from summer camp, Indy!

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

Escudo! ME likes my precious! My favorite tobacco blend! I partially rub it out - not completely. I leave it a little course. Roll it into a ball and stuff it down the barrel.....;)

Will

Beale likes this.
  7. Ravenwhyte

Ravenwhyte Member

Currently, I am loading this and PS Bullseye flake in the manner Beale mentioned. I seen it called the cannonball or knuckleball method. It seems to work well for me as well. That said, my method could change... :) I do seem to get a decent burn this way. I've tried drying it for 15-30 minutes and that doesn't work as well for my tastes.

Beale likes this.
  8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Oh, as far as the pipe goes, I've got a Sav Dry System, sort of Author-shaped, that is dedicated to this tobacco. I admit, it's not what I thought would be the ideal shape for it, but it really works better than anything else I tried it in.

HC

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

10. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

For Escudo, I fold the coin in half and stuff it into my pipe. I don't even really bother drying it out as it's not super moist in the tin. And it smokes amazing! It's great paired with a flake of Irish Flake, too. Yummy!

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Fold n stuffed in a briar or clay(lately now). Cobs doesn't work for me with vapers. Rubbed out is fine, but folded seems to intensify it a smidge...i think, anyway.

12. Ravenwhyte

Ravenwhyte Member

I received 1 lb of BEF from a new supplier the other day. It seemed very fresh and very.... wet. The BEF I had form a different source was a lot fryer and seemed to smoke well out of the gate. This batch, however, does require drying for 15-20 minutes, go figure!

13. clm42

clm42 Member

I smoked it in a Savinelli with a rather large bowl so i fold and stuff two coins. Worked pretty well for me this morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.