1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Esoterica Pembroke (Cognac Blend)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by telltime, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telltime

telltime Active Member

Two weeks ago, I posted all the tobaccos that I purchased when I visited Iwan Ries while in Chicago for a conference. This was one of those tobaccos I purchased.

I am trying most of the blends I have in the cellar to choose the perfect blend to break in the pipe I bought from Sas now almost a month ago. This was NOT that blend...

I didn't care for it. I haven't decided to completely give up on it, but if I decide to try it again (which is not very likely at this point), look for it in the trading post. I'm not ready yet. Still have several more blends to give a try. As much as I like my ol' standby blend of Tinderbox blends which is as close to my grandfather's blend as I can recall it, it's still missing something he had in it that I haven't figured out yet. Smell is a powerful memory sparker, and I KNOW it's missing something, but I haven't quite figured it out yet, so I keep trying... and I like to try new things.

This blend, however, didn't even come close for me. There was something about it upon opening the tin that reminded me of Dunhill's London Mixture which is a tobacco that I personally don't care for. I had bought three tins of London Mixture back in, oh, about 2001 or 2. I opened one tin, tried it two or three times, didn't care for it, and attempted to blend it with about 6 - 8 oz. of Tinderbox's Wilshire. All I succeeded in doing was ruining the Wilshire. This long, long before I joined this forum, or any others, and I dumped it. Regret it now (sort of) simply because someone out there might have liked it, but I was not going to go through 1/2 pound of something I did not like. The other tins of London Mixture I ended up practically giving away with some other Dunhill tobacco (965) that I also didn't care for overall.

Right now, that's how I feel about this tobacco. It's just not my thing. Reminds me more of a cigarette smell/taste than a pipe. I guess that I just prefer the aromatics over the English blends.

I won't dump it, but I likely won't try it again. For me, the smell (from the can and burning) and taste reminded me of London Mixture, only the Cognac slightly improved it. But not enough for my liking. And it may be nothing like London Mixture, but that's what it reminded me of, aftertaste and all.

Glad I tried it, because now I know... doubt I'll go back to it.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Pembroke is pretty weird. The tobacco is "full English", tons of latakia etc, and it's just soaked in fruity smelling cognac. Presents (to me) in the pipe as two totally disconnected components. An absolutely stunning and unusual tobacco, but at the end of the day, it wasn't for me either.

3. telltime

telltime Active Member

Wow... just re-read this and man was I tired when I typed it. Please forgive my grammatical errors, but now the edit button has disappeared so I can't go back and make myself look less stupid.

...but my message hasn't changed. I didn't care for this tobacco and once I have a few more tried and weeded out (no pun intended), look for it in the tradin' forum!

Sas... It's nice to see someone validate my beliefs. I'm glad you remembered to acknowledge it's a wonderful tobacco, since I forgot. Like you, though, it's just not for me. I imagine someone who prefers the English blends would really like this.

4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Something about a latakia blend that's topped or cased turns me off. Disconnect, like Sas said. I've tried to like the Esoterica line but the door alwys closes after Penzance and Stonehaven (where that wiff of whiskey works just fine for me).

5. Rider

Rider Member

id be happy to take it of your hands if you dont want it :whistle:

its one of my favorites and i actually live in Pembroke, MA :xd: :roflmao:

to make it even funnier im originally from Dorchester(another esoterica blend) in Boston :eek:hyeah:

but yea, the smell makes my stomach turn but then i make it and every things fine

i think is supposed to be margate with cognac?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.