Esoterica Tilbury

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by badbusinessman, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

A few months back I found a tin of Esoterica Tilbury at the bottom of a box of tins that had been there for at least seven years. I've never smoked it before and it turned out to be an absolutely top notch Virginia unlike any other I'd tried. In large bowls toward the bottom it would develop an amazing flavor reminiscent of the sweet spot of fine cigars but without any cigar flavor (if that makes any sense).

Upon finishing the tin I got a new one. To my dismay it tasted like a Virginia version of Stonehaven. Not that I dislike Stonehaven, but it just seemed to be a different tobacco with a noticeable topping. So my question is, did the topping go away with age and the tobaccos mature into a finer flavor, or did Esoterica change Tilbury into a Stonehaven clone because of the popularity of Stonehaven?

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Just a guess, but if you put that tin away for another 7 years, you might re-discover that "special" tobacco. Virginias especially, benefit from aging (burleys don't "age"), and I would bet that's what you have here....the difference between "old" and "new". Then too, the crop that your original Tilbury was created from probably differs from that of the new tin....there are just too many variables involved.
    Tilbury is mainly Va with burley...Stonehaven is burley with Va. Not much of a difference, but it's there.

Personally, I prefer a Virginia that is at least 5 years old, though over the years, I've found it extremely difficult to "let sleeping baccys lie"... :eek:hyeah:

3. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

Thanks T-Bear. I'll put it away for 7 years then I'll report back how it tastes. ;)

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Has it been seven years yet? I'm waiting for the conclusion here.

Bluesytone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.