1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Estate Kaywoodie 13B (4 hole stinger)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Major, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major

Major Member

In another thread we were talking about stingers and what their purpose is along with my interest in a certain Kaywoodie for sale on Ebay.

I won the bid and it arrived today and I thought maybe a few of you would be interested to see it and it gives me a chance to ask a question or two. Now keep in mind I've never saw the need for an Estate pipe till I saw this one and I really liked it enuff to buy it. So its my first estate pipe.

Heres the new pipe (don't ask me why it came out slightly grainy)

Kaywoodie 13B Super Grain

Mr. Stinger

Here you can see some decent cake inside the bowl. I can barely smell anything if at all so I don't think its been smoked for a long time. If I detect anything it MIGHT (big might) be latakia, but thats more likely just the smell of carbon and briar.

Choclate Cake ?

If you look close enough you can see a few small dings and thats all there is. The rest of the bowl and stem are just fine outside of the fact that the stem could use a spit and shine.

I think I got a good pipe here for sure. But....

1. Should I actually remove the cake for fear of ghosts or should I puff first then see what transpires?

2. As far as the condition is concerned, is this particular Kaywoodie worth a little more investment by getting the dings removed or Sod it all and keep it just as it is? (just polish up the stem)

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Nice author...I say clean the stem with alcohol and fire it up. I got an estate KW several months back, and thats all I recall doing...with good effect. If it seems mousy to you after that smoke...well, fall back and punt. Enjoy!

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Two digits aren't known (to me) collectibles. Sod it. Besides, pre dinged saves you from stressing doing it yourself.

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I agree with Kyle. Give the stem a nice cleaning and smoke it. Even if you still get a slight ghost, try a good OTC like PA to get rid of it. I'd only ream it out as a last resort.

That's one fine looking Kaywoodie and I hope you enjoy it for many years!

5. Jay

Jay Active Member

Mr. Ben, On the few estates I have acquired, a good ream was necessary IMO. It really helps to kill the ghost with a S&A treatment to follow. But smoke it at least once, and if it is OK smoke the thing, if it is off, ream and clean baby.

Nice pipe by the way!

J

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I consider the 13b to be quite collectible. I have 6 13b's so far, one a meer from the fifties..........

You have a nice one and I'd be afraid of mucking up the finish with alcohol. Scrape it a little and run some PA through it, should smoke ghost free in a few bowls.

7. Legend

Legend Member

You lucky devil! I've been after a 13B for some time, and always miss out on 'em. Enjoy it!

8. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

the 13-B is a bit of a collector's item--not terribly rare, but lot's of folks seem to want 'em--

give it a fair shake before you treat it--

i am awaiting a 13-B from a friend who put it on another forum along with several others as 'orphans' looking for a new home--i passed up a GBD for the KW Author--he did say that in the one i am supposed to get the stinger had been clipped--never smoked a kW with a clipped stinger--should tell me something about the practice??--

enjoy your pipe--it looks like a winner--

9. Major

Major Member

Its a tad bit ghosted with a slight soap after taste. I'm hesitant to scrap this nice even cake. I'll run more than a few bowls through it as I'm certain it can be delt with. If worse comes to worse I'll just try a little bourbon or bacardi 181 to get rid of it.

I'm pretty impressed with the pipe. Smokes amazingly cool. Barely needs a heavy draw to light up and hasn't gurgled at all with the 2 bowls I put through it today. The stinger apparently does what it was designed to do.

I have several Savinelli authors and the Kaywoody is the smallest of the lot and due to that fact I half expected it to smoke a bit hotter. The bowl remaind quite cool and never got warm. It feels good in the hand and clenches well too. I think I found my new fishing buddy.

Legend[/b] if I see another one pop up on Ebay I'll definately give you a heads up. If I see one around town and in good shape I'll snag it and give you the first option to grab it off me before anyone else.

Would this bowl be considered a "Tomato" ?

(btw I appreciate all the tips and info guys... if I take it to heart as you say I'm sure this pipe will be just fine with the cake as is.)

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

MB, nice looking KW. I'd say
    the bowl is a prince? Many
    happy years smoking with
    your new fishing buddy.

dp

11. Legend

Legend Member

Thanks for keeping me in mind!

12. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

That is a nice Kaywoodie. I tend to stay away from pipes with stingers but I do have a Kaywoodie Lovat w/a stinger that smokes pretty nicely.

As to the shape, I would say this is an author but perhaps Sas will chime in on this as he seems to be the resident shape expert.
    Nice find. Enjoy it!

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You got a meer 13b ? !!!! ..... B*s***d ! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.