Estate Pipe Stem Blockage Part Deux

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Otoolefan, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Okay, I had success with the pipe that I thought would be the hardest to unblock--the decomposed filter. Twisting a skinny drill bit in there as well as an alcohol soak finally did the trick!

But now, the bulldog pipe with the saddle bit has me vanquished for now... I didn't even think it was blocked until I routinely ran a pipe cleaner thru it when I got it home. Both openings of the stem are small--it has the kind of permanent stinger in it with the little ball at the end of it and just a tiny hole further up. I've tried soaking it overnight in EVERCLEAR, Vodka, etc... I've tried running Czech tool thru it. I've even sprayed it with the hose with the "jet" setting on. NOTHING. I'm also starting to think it's broke in there somehow... I'm thinking maybe a tiny wire brush but strong enough to dislodge whatever the hell is in there, but don't have something like that around the house...

I'm out of ideas for now... FRUSTRATING!!

Don

2. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Unless you really want to save the stinger, after the soak, yank that mutha out with some pliers. The ones I've dealt with have been press-fit and will surrender to a determined assault.

3. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I don't believe this one is a press-fit stinger. That's part of the problem.

4. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Got a Dremel? Get rid of the business part of the stinger, just leave the threads (if applicable). My Meer billiard had the same problem and now smokes 100% better--no more gurgles and no trying to carefully thread a cleaner through the tiny hole in the stinger.

SmokeyJoe and Thuber88 like this.
  5. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

+ 1 on the Dremel and cutoff wheel, if it is truly non removable

6. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thanks! Have a bunch of dremels, small and normal sized. Looks like it's coming down to trying this method very soon.

7. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Okay, took off the business part of the stinger, so at least now I have a hole at the end of the stem. However, it's still blocked. Pipe cleaners are coming out a little dirtier, so I think I'm getting a tiny bit of it, but nowhere near a breakthrough, I don't think. Aarrgh!!!!

8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Maybe find another small drill bit?...

9. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Yes, think that's the next step... thanks

10. Thuber88

Go to a guitar/piano store, get one larger string(solid wire), either instrument one is long enough to last a lifetime, but the solid wire ones cut to a shorter length can be nice and stiff for cleaning/reaming out holes
    Usually all under $10, a piano one might be more, but doubtful

11. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

SUCCESS!! Free at last! Free at last! Holy crap... I used the poker of the Czech tool and just kept screwing it into the stem thru the new hole I'd made. I screwed it into the stem until I ran out of Czech tool. Then I unscrewed it and some gunk and minor debris FINALLY spilled out and the passageway was clear. Thanks so much for the help! Couldn't have done it without cutting off the stinger part with the cut off wheel on the Dremel. Stem still screws in perfectly and is ready to go.
    Woot!

12. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

SUCCESS! Screwed the Czech tool all the way into the stem thru the new hole created by cutting off the stinger. When I unscrewed the tool, some gunk and minor debris came out and airway was clear! At last! What a pain in the ass, but it was all worth it now.

13. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

SUCCESS! Czech tool did the job. Woot!

14. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I'd scrub the hell out of it with alcohol and pipe cleaners, let it rest over night, and then she should be good to go. I had a Grabow stem that had years of gunked filter paper bits caked in the stem. It took me about three days to clear it...although, im sure there is still some in there.

Thuber88 likes this.
  15. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thanks, am going to let it soak in another alcohol bath overnight, after running a few more pipe cleaners thru it. Guess I'll really appreciate this "Hawthorne" pipe when I do smoke it after the ordeal it was just to get the stem clear! I'll post a pic of said pipe tomorrow...

Thuber88 likes this.
  16. Thuber88

Second on the fill and let er soak all night, if there is enough thread, put some alc in a glass only to cover most of the threads, the fumes will work their way up the inside, or scrub the living crap out of it, you dont want to smoke it now and have it either reclog, or break some loose and you get a mouthful of that yummy goo:eek:

17. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Good advice. Will follow.

Thuber88 likes this.
  18. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Glad to hear that worked, let us know how it smokes when you get the cleaning all done!

19. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Will do. Thanks again! Will also post a pic today of this little pipe that caused such big trouble, lol.

20. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.