1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Estate Pipes-Different Taste?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by NewKidOnTheBlock, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock Member

Hey guys,

I have many estate pipes but I have yet to smoke any of them they have mostly been for display but now I wish to smoke them.

My question is; when you smoke an estate pipe, are there any old flavors that stick with it? Would the old taste of the tobacco that was once smoked in it stay in it? Or would a couple smokes with a new tobacco clear it out? If it does stay, is it very noticeable? or is it just subtle?

Thanks.

2. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

It varies. You may think they will never go away but they will.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You've cleaned them first I assume . A pipe can still have a ghost after cleaning . I thought I'd mention cleaning being that they are used and it's sanitary to do so .... just in case

4. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

Most definitely, a through cleaning in mandatory on estates.

5. NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock Member

Oh yes, of course I have already cleaned them.

That might have been helpful to add.

6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

If you have cleaned them they should be ready to smoke. If they have excessive cake in the chamber you will need to ream them.

7. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Reamed back to a thin cake and cleaned with PGA, or as close as you can get to it, and it should be good to go. All according to what has been smoked in it, the ghosts will eventually go away.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Good advice from the lads to date. All I can add is that if after cleaning and reaming there's still a ghost - try a few bowls of 5 Brothers, Prince Albert or Carter Hall and any of these should shift it.

Imho Estate Pipes make in the main great smokers as often the briar itself is of a better quality than is now available and the wood itself has had time to really dry out and mature.

Happy smoking!

Gerry

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

+1 Gerry is spot on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.