1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Estate steals

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by tsgourley, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I went around to some local antique stores today and found an awesome deal. I got this meerschaum for $13.77:

http://img.skitch.com/20100620-gm79rpiuj18gbdj4stbubq83ma.jpg

This was taken after I got it home and cleaned the tar off the rim. I can already tell the coloring is going to be awesome once I start smoking it. It's got a HUGE wide bowl.

I also found this Dr. Grabow Grand Duke for $20. It's close to the new pipe price, but I've never seen this particular shape for sale anywhere so I thought it was a great deal, especially for the condition it is in.

http://img.skitch.com/20100620-j4mmwt9skauq61dwp21g9p4qk1.jpg

Gotta love having good days like this!

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

My favorite thing to do! I love the treasure hunting. I have bought (and sold or given away a lot) over 700 of them since the first of the year. I have found Dunny's for under $5.00!

3. Legend

Legend Member

That's a nice DG-and you're right you don't see that shape in the stores. It looks very new production-probably in the last 2-3 years.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dammit, the Boy's scored again and handsomely!

I comb charity shops, antique shops, car boots and junk shops religiously but never can turn up pipes and pipe things in this country.

Sadly here it's a case of when a pipe smoker dies his relatives simply chuck out his "dirty old pipes" not thinking anyone would want to adopt them and give them an appreciated second career.

It breaks my heart when I meet sdomeone who says they like the smell of my pipe as it reminds them of Dad etc because I know the answer the the question I'm next going to ask before I say it.

Once again well done, enjoy your new pipes and many happy years with them,

Gerry

5. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Whoa, great score! Makes me think a lot of people at lawn sales, antique shops, and flea markets don't really have a sense of what they're holding on to. But then again...that's good for all of us! :cheers:

And AMEN on the "Dirty old pipes" Gerry! (I'd take em all)

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Great score amigo! Two fine additions to the stable. Smoke them in good health!

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Excellent finds, Mr Gourley! If they smoke even half as nice as they look, you'll enjoy them immensely!

Bri2k

8. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

Check out these babies I won just today. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110547943641

Can anyone tell me anything about them? I have here a De-mar Spain 81, Irwin from 2006,and an Everdry. Never mind the one without the mouth piece. But for $10 that seems like a good deal.

9. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

The De-mar was the one I was most interested in.

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Looks like the bully on the bottom will need a new stem as well, doesn't matter, you only have ten dollars in them, if even one turns into a good smoker you are money ahead.

11. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

Yes I'll clean them up and make them good as new. And I may or may not replace that stem. Depends on how much I end up liking the pipe and what shape it's in. Anyone know where I can get some micromesh? Home depo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.