1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Estatepipes.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Linus, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linus

Linus Member

I've been thinking about one thing lately concerning presmoked pipes, and in my opinion a good used pipe often outranks a brand new one.

Not only have the work of breaking it in been done (even if reamed to bare wood the heel will still have some cake, and we all know that building cake down there is'nt allways as simple as it sounds)

Another good thing whould be that a pipe that been used for years and still looks good, without burnoutsigns etc, will probably keep smoking for years, thereby i can only assume that the very toughest qualitycontrol has been done, i might be wrong but is'nt burnouts often caused by poor briar (airpockets, impuritys etc buried in the wood and cant be seen causing wicked reactions when heat is applied).

The third pro, Price! I've got 2 stanwell sterling that was kinda beaten up but cleaned up just fine, a paid approx 7dollars each, now they took some elbowgrease and salt/alco exorcism, but every now and then i NEED some handwork anyway :).

Forth pro. Some brands/makers/models cant be bought new, and some have lost it's quality,

Im sure several persons with fear of germs disagree even if the germs dont stand much chance against chlorine, salt, alcohol and reamers but i do understand how they think.

Other pros or cons? Im sure there are and im also sure you wont hesitate to tell us all about it :)

Stonewall and PipeSimmo like this.
  2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

About half of my pipes were estate pipes and smoke fantastic. I like not having to break a pipe in, and wondering about the history of an old pipe as you smoke it adds an element of mystery. Who knows where that pipe has been?
    I can't think of any cons other than the restoring of an old pipe, and that's enjoyable anyway so it's not really a con.

3. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Iam starting to love estate pipes for the added enjoyment of taking the pipes and restoring them. Guess it comes from me growing up helping my dad restoring old furniture.

Gunslinger,

Linus likes this.
  4. Linus

Linus Member

One more goodie about them, you can smoke a pipe while restoring :D

But right now i've up to my ears in piperestoration, fixing up a friends collection so he can sell them, done 11 savinellis, and most gruntwork o. 2 BBB's and 1 Georg Jensen. Still remaining are 2 BBB's and one Kriswill.

And of course, 14 stanwell, but then againg, they are'nt his anymore :D :D :D but i belive i gave him a fair offer for them :)

PipeSimmo likes this.
  5. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

I got into the whole pipe thing from a find at an estate sale... still here. :)

Labman and Linus like this.
  6. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Wait...you mean to tell me they sell pipes brand new?
    Hmmmm, sounds expensive.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I like estate pipes as much as anyone, but there's just something to being the first person to set fire to a brand new pipe.

I go new when I can afford to.

As of now, I'd say about 70% of my pipes were purchased new.

But there's another pro to estate pipes, Linus. Some pipes are no longer produced, such as pre-transition Barlings, patent number Dunhills, Lane-era Charatans, Huseyin Yanik meerschaums, etc.

Stonewall and FlatbushPaul like this.
  8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Clearly this is a coin and has two sides. I love smoking a Kaywoodie from 1930 something. Wondering what has gone on in the lives it has passed through. Thinking about how many different tobacco's have been smoked in it.
    Then again I have to agree that the most fun is breaking in a new higher end pipe. Such as a BST or a Davorin Morta or a Dunhill. Planning the type of tobacco I want to smoke in it and getting used to it. Or watching a new Meer start to change color.
    Something to be said of both sides of the coin.
    Just my $.02, or maybe it was a quarter.

Linus and dmkerr like this.
  9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Totally agree.

Linus and FlatbushPaul like this.
  10. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I second that. :)

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Estates are great ! A new pipe is a special thing being you get it from the start and make it your own . If we only bought Estate pipes , there would be no more pipe makers . I've noticed the price of estates have been going up , at least the ones I'm interested in . I got a Savinelli Prince for Christmass [ new ] and it is a pleasure to break it in . That said , 75 % of my pipes are estate pipes .. :)

12. Linus

Linus Member

I've gotten a couple of sweet deals on estates but not from evilbay :) acctually my only ebay pipe was a brand new peterson system. All my estates (85-90%) have been bought eye to eye with the seller, but i guess denmark is the country to find them within decent distance (theres pretty much nowhere in denmark that whould take more then 4hours drive from here) and there are estatepipes for sale everywhere, but many expect way to good prices i belive.

It's a nice thing to get a new pipe, but my favbrand stanwells quality has dimished, and their customerservice seems almost gone too :( new (italianmade) stanwells feel's like someone elses seconds :(

13. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Five of my nine pipes are estate pipes. I'd have more, but I generally pass on anything that doesn't look like it would be ready to smoke after a cleaning. I've managed to not spend over $10 for a single one. I'm more happy with each of those (haven't gotten around to cleaning and smoking number five) than the new pipes that I've spent $30+ (with the exception of the Dr. Grabow that I bought new).

There's also some satisfaction that comes from finding a good pipe on a shelf in an obscure flea market or antique store.

14. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I really HATE to hear that! Like you I am a big fan of Stanwell.
    Seems like in recent years the quality of everything has slipped.

Linus likes this.
  15. User3940

User3940 Active Member

All but two of my pipes are estate pipes that have either been given to me or that I bought online. And all of my pipes are unique in that I do not go with the normal purchases, I like things that are abnormal. Pipes that most would not look twice at.[​IMG] I find that I can get them for very cheap, and they provide me with an enjoyable smoke and often start conversations. A good example is the "Radiator" [​IMG] that I just bought on eBay yesterday. I do have a couple Briars that I like, but my favorite pipe right now is a red The Smoke made by Venturi. [​IMG]

I think estate pipe shopping is a blast.

fogpipe and Linus like this.
  16. Linus

Linus Member

It a tragedy, and not only based on my own say-so, many i've met trough the pipeclub says the same thing, i guess i understand that the sales were going down, but whould Poul Nielsen (who even chanced his name to stanwell) have agreed to this? No way, maybe if they had kept a small productrange in denmark, like the HC Andersen series and above (those cost about 200usd here in denmark) and their lower priced pipes being made out of the house it whould be good. And to compare, whould a mexican harley davidson be as appeling as the original? I say NO (nice compare from someone who does'nt own any kind of transportdevice except shoes *lol*)

17. Linus

Linus Member

Coastie.. You got some fiiiine looking pipes there :D

18. Bent

Bent Member

I really love estates. Didn't have much luck at first, but once I figured out what to look for and what to avoid I really got to appreciate the crap out of estates.
    My favorite estates are kaywoodies. One of my favorite pipes out of my whole collection is an estate I restored, a kaywoodie.
    The old Grabows are nice too.

19. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I absolutely love nostalgia. Love it. To the point of obsession perhaps. I adore anything, yesteryear. Maybe it's the season of life I'm currently living, maybe it's the fact that most everything I knew and loved is passed. Perhaps a combination of all these things.

But theres something I truly appreciate about the way things were. And how they were made. The quality, craftsmanship; the history.

The majority of my pipes are estates. As much as 85% of my collection. When I find one that's in fantastic condition, I'm thrilled. As much as I am with a new pipe. The pipes I own that are new are ones that are completely me. Exclusively. My BST (soon to be a trio), my Meers, clays, cobs. My seven day Wiley set (still in progress).

These are pipes that one day someone will hold and smoke, and maybe even wonder about themselves. But for now they begin their history with me and the craftsmen who made them.

But the estates are mysteries. And like someone else said, to hold and smoke those pipes, and wonder where they've been, or how they began their history, is part of the appeal to them. At least to me.

One comes to mind more so than others I have. An old Kaywoodie Signet. I've nearly gotten rid of it numerous times but I continue to hold onto it. It was well smoked and extremely well taken care of. The quality of the briar looks to me to be superb. I would love to have it dated. I think it could be mid 20's to 30's. I've not seen another quite like it in hundreds of hours of scanning endless pages of estates.

To wonder who walked in to a shop and purchased it new, to all the years and hands it may have passed through, era after era, and end up with me. Maybe I'm putting way too much thought into it; but it seems rather amazing in terms of history as well as longevity.

This is the appeal to me.

Artistik, MikeInMaine and fogpipe like this.
  20. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I have a regular 8 pipe rotation, 6 are estates. I have pipes that cost alot of money new that i rarely smoke. In my experience nothing smokes as good a vintage english briar. As far as the germ thing, if there were malevolent micro organisms that could survive the alcohol treatment and the temperatures involved with burning tobacco, none of us would be here to talk about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.