1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Estates, Briars ect ?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by rusty, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rusty

rusty Member

Could you tell me the difference in Estates and Briars please. Looking at pictures on here some look similar but are Estates, or briars, a little confused again, thanks.

2. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Briar is a type of wood used to make pipes...pipes can be new or used...a used pipe is called an estate pipe...sometimes they're cleaned and sterilized by the seller and ready to go, sometimes you have to restore them yourself...

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

It's kinda like when used cars are called pre-owned or used clothes called vintage.

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

"gently used" :dunno:

5. rusty

rusty Member

Ah right, thanks very much.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi Rusty,

You'll find our American cousins are extremely well blessed as regards finding estates at good prices. In the UK when Dad or Grandad dies the relatives tend to bin his "dirty old pipes" and they are lost forever, whereas in the States a lot of good estates fing their way into car boots, antique shops, yard sales etc.

It is worth looking at ebay uk to see what comes up if you are into bidding ( I'm not ) or simply Googling "Estate Pipes" and up will come good tobacconists such as Brucianni's with their lists.

Happy Hunting

Gerry

7. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

It took me a while to realize that 'estate' doesn't mean anything more than 'used.' Nothing wrong with that and some people prefer used pipes to new since they don't seem to need as much breaking in. They are pre-seasoned. If an estate pipe is restored, i.e. reamed down to the new briar and the stem/stummel cleaned to the point of being sterilized, is it really break-in-free?

Like harmonicas, I don't know how much I would want an unrestored used pipe with decades of someone else's residue in it. There's probably no harm but there's an ick factor there. Unless I was a collector, I wouldn't buy an estate tooth brush never mind use it. My mother always told me never to use someone else's comb because the might have lice. Is this an apples to oranges comparison?

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Whaleheadking-

Does this mean I can count you out as a potential buyer of my used 'harps?

To wit, unless the comb of a harmonica is made of wood, cleaning an estate harp is no worse (maybe better?) than cleaning an estate pipe.

I feel ya though...my estate Falcon tasted funny for several bowls after revitalizing...made me think I was tasting someone's grandpa's denture cream. Not a fun visual, ya know?

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

estates are just old pipes that are previously owned. i find about 2 of 3 times they're better smokers, nicer makes, and a hell of a lot cheaper

10. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I'm not a huge fan of estates, but sometimes you see one that's just too good to pass up. An example: A few months ago I was able to score an estate Savenelli Punto Oro, a hundred dollar pipe, for under $25. It looks great, smokes great, and I would have been crazy to pass it up.

11. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

The name estate pipes comes from the fact that old pipes are sold off at estate sales upon the death of the smoker and then are resold. I have bought thousands of estate pipes and find many a gem in the rough. I make it a hobby to buy and restore estate pipes and then keep the ones I like and sell the rest via eBay. I do not take my bowls back to bare wood but do ream them to a thin cake. I do however sterize them and make them look new. They require no breakin period and many I buy are very old and very seasoned. Some have grain and silver workings that cannot be found today at least not affordably and I get them on the cheap. They may look nasty to the seller, but a few hours in my shop and they become works of art. Briar is most pipers wood of choice as it smokes the best, coolest, and is so hard it resists burning out.

12. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i've got a sterncrest special make that i paid about 12 bucks for (shipping inclusive) that had a 14k gold band on it thats worth about 35 just in weight.
    i think all told of my 18 briars and meers (i've downsized considerably) there's only two that aren't estates, and i've only had one estate i actually got rid of because it smoked poorly. they're a major blessing to the beginning collector.

and do you sell on ebay, cause A) i might wanna snag some of your estates and :groucho: i think i may have bought a wally frank from you

13. WillH

WillH Active Member

I'll just add a word or two of caution regarding buying used pipes. KNOW THE SELLER!

As with all things on Ebay there are alway those few unscrupulous sellers that don't tell all and do a bit of doctoring to their pipes. I know cuz I've bought a few dogs and it really pisses me off. Hate getting a pipe with a false bottom that someone as added a coat of carbon to hide a burn out or worse. I purchased a pipe described as "lightly used" only to discover is was completely burned through on one side - naturally that side of the pipe was skillfully hidden from the photos. I purchased another pipe that smelled so bad I finally hung the thing in the loft of the barn and let the pigeons **** on it - it's still there. Even many alcohol treatments wouldn't clear it up stench. I think the previous owner smoked it rectally.

So be aware! Ask questions! Do a little research. Most important "NOW THE SELLER".

I don't buy estates pipes any longer. Now it's either new or nutten. I hate to break in a new pipe so I'm stuck with what I have.

Will

14. rusty

rusty Member

Thanks everyone, some very interesting thoughts there. It didnt occur to me that we could be smoking someone elses spit? But if its steralised and because of the heat it wouldnt really be an issue for me. As for steralising, other than say bleach for the mouthpiece and the heat from smoking anyway, what else can be done?
    And ebay is something I dont do, I like going into a shop and having a good browse around. Im not even a fan of mail order. Probably a minority in this age of computers, but Im just not keen.

15. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I wouldn't use bleach on anything you plan on smoking out of. Use alcohol to clean any estates you find. I don't know what the proof limit is in your neck of the woods, but in the states grain alcohol seems to be what most people recommend. It'll sterilize it and, accompanied with salt in the bowl and shank, will remove the ghosts of the previous owner's tobacco.

16. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

agreed. bleach+lungs=bad day

i use smirnoff 100 proof vodka for sterilizing and cleaning pipes. works great, not particularly difficult to find and doesnt really taste like anything (everclear leaves an chemical abnormal sweetness to me). when people are bothered by estate pipes i always wonder how they manage to touch things like doorknobs or drink out of glasses in a bar.

17. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Rusty, next time you go into a pipe shop/tobacconist and browse around, be sure to ask to see their estate pipes. They usually don't display them in the open, bu if you ask, they'll pull out a drawer, and sometimes you can get lucky!

Plus, if the shop has some refurbishing equipment, those estates are usually ready-to-smoke!

18. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

:0laugh:
    Now that's bad!

I have one that was given to me as a gift from an antique shop in Florida. They said they paid 4 bucks...I'm assuming because nobody could get it apart. But I cleaned it and it smokes great. I even finally got the mouthpiece out and reamed it out inside a little. But I think it was all just dumb luck seeing as the person that purchased it knew next to nothing about pipes.

19. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi Rusty,

Strongly second Dondi's advice - a good tobacconist will have cleaned and sterlised any estate pipes he has - as I've said two of the long established British tobacconist/pipe dealers, Brucianni's in Carlisle and Greens of Leeds actually list on their sites the estates they currently hold. You won't get them at car boot prices but but you will get a good pipe cheaper than it would have cost new, it won't need breaking in and it will have been rstored and sterilised,

Best meantime

Gerry

20. rusty

rusty Member

Thanks everyone, I meant to use bleach only on the plastic mouthpiece then rinse and clean well, no where near wood. I was in my local tobacconists shop today, unfortunately they had nothing I wanted, no pipe cleaner spray, no zippo inserts, no Alco bowls, A little dissapointed I bought a pouch of Condor ready rubbed. No time to do anything tonight with my pipes as Im off out with the boss er wife :0laugh:
    Thanks Again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.