1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Estates, Briars ect ?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by rusty, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Alcos aren't made anymore regrettably; unlikely you'll find Zippo pipe inserts this side of the pond - but don't worry a standard zippo works just fine _ I've used one since 1975! You don't need to get too hung up on the technicalities and accessories - just enjoy what you've got and get good at it.

In a few years you'll be on here as the "Wise Old Man" with your own theories, just like the rest of us!

Happy smoking

Gerry

2. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I didn't mean to speak badly of estate pipes but I look at them cautiously. There are some diamonds out there and a reputable dealer goes a long way to deliver quality. Like anything though, buyer beware. I hate to throw anything out (it pains me there's no recycling in New Orleans) and I'm all for reuse. I don't have the skills or inclination to refurbish an estate to like-new condition so I tend to stay away. If it was the right pipe from someone I trust.... well, you know: PAD.

3. rusty

rusty Member

Now that is a dissapointment, I was hoping to get a couple of alco bowls. Ah well I have three with my pipe so Ill have to look after them. Ill try my normal zippo tomorrow, and see how I get on. thanks.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

On the Alco bowls front, you could try emailing Chris at Bruccianni's Carlisle - he's extensive stocks of all Falcon bowls, is a good all round guy prepared to go to some lengths to help out - last year he replaced a faulty meer for me without question saying "It was a factory fault, not mine that it had cracked" and he sifted through a lot of Hunter bowls to get me a matched set free from visisble faults for my Birthday set of Falcons - and offered me a discount on the set, always a way to score plus points with a Scotsman!

Don't know whereabouts in England you are, but in Durham's New Market there's an excellent pipe shop kept by a real eccentric who has marvellous stocks. He runs about looking like Holmes on an off day - three piece tweed suit, three day growth of stubble and has a wicked wit.

Finally check out ebay for Alco bowls - you often find new ones being offered by the likes of Greens of Leeds heavily discounted - these aren't auction items - you click the "Buy it now" button and pay the discounted price shown,

Best to all

Gerry

5. Jvail

Jvail Member

One of my favorite pipes is an estate-a Savinelli Autograph #4 that I'm still in the process of dating (it's got to be at least 30 years old). Smokes like a dream...

-Joe

6. adpipes

adpipes Member

As a newbie smoker literally all of my briars are "estate". The only brand new pipe I've ever smoked out of is a cob.

I've done a ton of research on cleaning and I feel like for under $10 and an hour of elbow grease I can have a pipe that I can learn with. If I scorch it or burn it out no big loss.

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Helps you learn a lot about them as well without the worry of messing up a $100.00 custom job. :thumbsu:

8. rusty

rusty Member

After trying a few different pipes, my first choice is the Alco, closely followed by the Falcon. Theyre ease of use and staying alight ability, if that makes sense makes for me a very pleasant smoke. The fact that I can change bowls is another plus, I can understand why these were my dads favourites, he never had the alco out of his mouth. I think this will be my most used one too.

9. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I own many Estate pipes from pre-WWII Sasieni's to a nice Charatan from the 1970's. These pipes were bought from respected tobacconists and were professionally cleaned and sterilized. They are some of my best smokers. When I got them they looked almost new. I have no problem with Estate pipes if they are professionally cleaned. Just look at it this way..when you go to a restaurant, you are not the first person to use that silverware.

If you are a collector, how else can you find a nice Pat. No. Dunhill or a pre-transitional Barling (pre-1962)? Just my two cents.

10. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

There is nothing too icky to sell on ebay. Estate tooth brushes, hmmmm, why have I been throwing those away?

11. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I sterilize mine with Everclear. I find estate pipes from makers no longer with us all the time that made wonderful pipes. For example, Wilmers. They were once thought of as better than Dunhills in England and are wonderful pipes. If I did not buy estates, I would not be able to experience these gems. I think many of the older pipes smoke better than the new ones. Then buying estates, I can afford the high end pipes. I bought 8 Dunhills the other day for $6.00 a piece. These would be $600 a piece if I bought them new.

12. Joew

Joew Member

Wanna sell a couple :groucho: wish I could find some dunhills for $6 but hey I only been looking 3 weeks so guess I need to earn them. I did clean my 1st estate pipe and love it I used bleach on the stem(wish i didnt after reading this) but I work as a jewlery manufacture so I put the stem in a sonic(soap andwater vibrating cleaning machine) afterwards for 10 minutes the used are buffing wheels and shined that stem to mirror like finish I must say it turned out very nice. so if I find some nice estate pipes that normally cost 500+ for under 50 you know im jumping on them quick. And I think its great that people dont just throw these gems out

oh and I did run everclear pipecleaners threw after wards to so the bleach should be gone cough cough hack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.