1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Estates: do you pay a premium for certain shapes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruralhipster, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Jan 10, 2011
    I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the trend where certain shapes (within a single brand and finish) tend to be a little more pricey than others. Am I correct in assuming this is ECO101 supply and demand in action even outside the auction sites?

From my crude observations for example in English estate pipes, Billiards tend to run the middle of the road price wise, Bulldogs, Zulus, Canadians, and Rhodesians tend to go for a bit above average in most lines, while Chubby Rhodesians and long Canadians tend to set the high water mark. Deals can occasionally be found in panels, princes and pots. Of couse certain makers have signature shapes (Charatan's dubliny-pokery thingy for example) and the Danish market is a whole other animal, but does anyone else notice this.

If so do you pay the extra for a shape you like or get a deal on a less popular shape within the same brand?
  2. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Jul 4, 2012
    I haven't seen an estate briar for more than 20 bucks, and those are kaywoodies. I've been wondering why they are so darned high online-hopefully an experienced feller will explain it.
  3. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

Dec 27, 2011
    I've noticed that Zulus and Horns seem to be the highest priced when I'm scouring the bay for estates. (except Yellobole Brylon "Ebony" zulus) :eek:

Pity, Zulu is my favorite shape after Bulldogs and Canadians, but I'm having a hard time getting any because of the prices.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Oh, absolutely! I've been buying estates for years, off and on; and there's no doubt in my mind that specific shapes/styles see more interest (and higher bidding) than others.

The Billiard shape was a perfect example. From my hours and pages of searches, I find the Canadians, Rhodesians/Bulldogs, and small briar Calabash pipes almost exceed the $30 range. Unless they're abused.

As far as paying more, if it's something that appeals to me, yes, I will.

I like to think I have gained a little knowledge, and I definitely know I have a good eye for what I like.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.