1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Europe Trip!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tony Malerich, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

While I'm mostly just trying to survive the end of the semester at present, I'm also starting to get very excited for our trip to Europe in a few weeks. This will be my first time overseas so it's extra exciting for me. I'm intending to bring a four pipe case with me and two pipes, with the plan of populating one or two of the other slots while I'm there to commemorate the trip. Obviously the most important criterion is finding a pipe that I like, but I was curious if anybody might happen to know anything about taxes on smoking paraphernalia between France, Spain, and Austria to assess if one might be a slightly better place to go shopping. Also, any must try tobacco blends I can possibly only find in the EU? General tips or pointers?

2. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I would say Spain would be the cheapest place to go. If you get a chance to pop into Belgium they have decent taxes. I wouldn't have thought that any of them are cheaper than USA though to be honest. Tobacco-wise I suggest you try to find some Semois in France. It's Belgian but I'm fairly sure you can get it over there.

3. Tony Malerich

Yeah, relative to the US I figured things will be a bit more expensive (which is why I may just get one). Hence asking "well, of the three..." :)

4. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Spain is probably the cheapest of all EU countries for tobacco and a good plaee to stock up on Dunhill blends. Belgium as stated above is also good but at the other end of the scale is the UK which is perversly expensive. In Austria you should be able to find many pubs and biergartens where its still allowed to smoke your pipe as in Germany. Generally you'll find a great range of tobaccos on the continent at a reasonable price. One very good and cheap tobacco which you'll find just about everywhere, especially in Germany and Austria is Richmond Navy Cut and Richmond Mixture. I always try to get my hands on a few tins of them when I get to the continent. Hope you have a great time.

5. Hudson

Hudson Member

I believe that if you have it shipped back home you can avoid the VAT. Worked for Lalique, anyway. These days you could probably locate some tobacco shops online and e-mail them to clarify. EU rules may be different than pre-EU rules.

6. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

I would probably buy a pipe from each country and stock up like mad on baccy that you can only get there.

Arkie likes this.
  7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

When I was in Europe (and Ireland) I wasn't a pipe smoker. Now I need to go back! Just remember on the flight back you have to fill out that kooky "customs declaration" They want to know how much you spent..

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Try some Capstan or Three Nuns as far as
    good tobacco is concerned. You won't be
    disappointed.

9. buistd

buistd Sales Account

And of course if you make it to England then get in touch and I'll show you the sights if I can. Same applies to you, Snake, if I'm right in thinking that you'll be over here in June.

Rodfather likes this.
  10. IanTimothy

IanTimothy Member

Take your tobacco with you ..its way too expensive in the UK.. you can pick up some brilliant pipes for 20-25 pounds (Parkers are a great deal) in France you can find the most superb pipes for 35-45 euro..if your in the UK and anywhere near Nottingham contact me on the forum and we can meet up ..

11. Snake

Correct. No need for pipes, but
    I'll be loading up the suitcase
    With some UK only blends for
    sure!

12. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Well give me a shout when you're over and I'll try to be tour guide for a day.

Rodfather and Snake like this.
  13. Snake

I'll PM you when the time gets closer. :th1:

14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Going to Europe? BRING IMODIUM. Somewhere over there, you're gonna get the Paris/Madrid/Vienna two-step trots, and you won't care how many pipes you've bought...:confused:

15. Tony Malerich

My partner never travels without! We'll be covered :D

16. WrightwoodJohn

I never got the trotsky's overseas.... KNOCK ON WOOD

17. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

You must eat in all the nice places.

18. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

" populating one or two of the other slots " .... man , that threw me off for a second :xd:

Buy some Ogdens Walnut , Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and Three Nuns ... buy alot .

19. buistd

buistd Sales Account

+1 on the Ogdens Walnut. Great stuff

20. WrightwoodJohn

Not necessarily, just lucky I guess (btw includes Costa Rica)..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.