1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Evaluating an estate pipe lot

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cellophane, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cellophane

cellophane Member

I found an estate lot of pipes on craigslist that someone is selling and I'm a bit clueless on what to look for in a used collection. All my purchases so far have been through a store so they have already been cleaned up. Is there anything in particular I should look for or avoid in the pipes when I go to look at them?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Excellent question, sure to generate some useful answers.

You can expect a lot of dull, greeny-gray looking stems, being oxydized rubber. They will come back to black and shiny with some TLC but you need to decide ona means of doing that, polishing by hand or machine.

Look for stems that are bitten through, as this means re-stemming a pipe. Tooth marks will come out with heat, usually, but a crack or break or missing material means a larger repair.

Cracks or noticeably dark spots on the bowls is a bad sign, and huge amounts of cake in the bowls can be a bad sign too, certainly a sign of a neglected (if well used) pipe.

See if the pipes come apart, see if they are gunky inside, full of mold or anything like that, see if they have metal stingers on the tenon (some pipes unscrew).

Big name brands are worth picking up almost no matter what -Peterson, Dunhill, Parker, Charatan's, etc. More likely you'll find Dr Grabow, Kaywoodie, Medico, Yello-bole and that kind of thing, and these are 20 dollar pipes with a very few exceptions. Get 'em for 5. :thumbsu:

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I never thought to look on craigslist for pipes, just looked in my area but all I found was hookahs and bongs. :(

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Sas pretty much covered the bases on this one but I LOOK for pipes with lots of cake in estates as that means usually that they were good smokers. Cake is easy to clean. Restoring pipes does take a lot of time and effort so decide you are willing to do it. Some of us really enjoy restoring them. But you really need the tools and know how to do it. Good luck!

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

so yeah... i thought i was the only one who does that, lol. i love me some heavily smoked estates. means i got a good pipe.

just picked up a new guildy, and man was it "well loved" bright green stem and all. the cake was so thick in the bottom half it wouldn't have passed a cigarette butt, and the bowl (which is a group four) had a smaller bowl reamed into the cake on the top that looked like a group 1 pot. if you find something like that a castleford reamer tends to make short work of it, you can find them pretty cheap online.

here's a pic of what to expect in terms of corrosion (its sort of a worst case scenario) but you can kinda see there are no serious toothmarks on the stem, at least no bitethroughs. the pipe on the top was in similar condition when i got it, and i polished that stem by hand, it looks nice, but still has some spots that are prone to turning green if i dont scrub them regularly.
    http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/dumgrunt/DSCN0179.jpg

here's a pair i polished using a buffing wheel, its a bit more tricky and easier to screw up, i also don't usually get as nice a finish on older vulcanite. you'll also notice these two are pretty free of serious bite marks.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/dumgrunt/bigcomoypotside.jpg

i dont go for estates without pictures, and i have prices based on the number in the lot i'm buying and the brands that i wont exceed. petes, comoy seconds, GBDs, parkers, hardcastles, all going to have high resale values, sasienis, savinellis, orliks, BBBs less so, and things like yello bole, captain plumb, irish seconds, grabows and older kaywoodies (the new ones are actually great) are almost not worth buying in terms of resale unless you're getting a massive number, they're in relatively good condition.

basically, look for burnthroughs, bitethroughs, broken stems and cracks. if you have concerns and get pictures, show us a link and we'll take a look. i'll offer what little knowledge i've got, someone more experienced like strongirish would be better suited to help you with it though, if he's willing.

6. cellophane

cellophane Member

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

+2

Well trimmed cake is usually a good sign.

Loads of cake up the bowl and over the rim (and no cracks in the briar) usually tells of someone who didn't know the ropes and loaded a pipe over and over then put it up when it was too fouled to smoke anymore. These may range from Yello-Bole to Dunhills. The briar is nearly always preserved perfectly beneath, like a bug in amber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.