Evening smokes?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by neoclassical, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

What makes for an evening or before bed smoke in the English tradition ala Nightcap etc? Heavy latakia? light? Orientals? Tons of nic or light?

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

When I have the opportunity for a late-ish smoke, I like something along the lines of Astley's #44, or Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong.

3. el guero

el guero Member

This is just a theory, but maybe it is like cigars. Most "experts" will suggest that you smoke a mild cigar in the morning, a medium cigar in the afternoon and a strong cigar in the evening. The reason I have heard is that your tongue gets desensitized by the food and drink over the day so something more complex won´t overwhelm you later in the day like it would in the morning. Now if this it true or not I have no idea but in theory it seems to makes sense to me.

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

If I'm in the mood for it, I like a good, rich tobacco at the end of the day. It doesn't need to be particularly strong, but I like rich flavor. MacB Vintage Syrian or Solani ABF both work for me. Genre-wise, these are light years apart but they are just solid performers on the flavor front. SG Squadron Leader, Pete Old Dublin, amd GH #7 Broken Flake also deliver.

My first smoke of the day is always a mild Burley or Virginia blend. I like peace and quiet in the morning, and a gentle smoke to go with my coffee. Something like Old Dublin would just over-run my tastebuds if I smoked it the first thing in the morning. However, the opposite is not true and I am often just as happy with a milder smoke at the end of the day. They again, I prefer mellow one-dimensional smokes anyway and I save the stronger stuff for the weekend or when the mood just happens to hit me.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

In the English tradition? I guess this would boil down to 'heavy' on flavor. This may be independent of nicotine level, amt. of Latakia, etc. Considering English 'cuisine', i'd opt for a tobacco palate cleaning powerhouse too! :)

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I also tend to start with a lighter/milder blend and work my way to a full English, but it depends on the mood. What I try to avoid is smoking anything that has a real heavy vitamin N hit before eating.

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

More often than not, an evening smoke is my only smoke of the day, so it depends on what mood I'm in. My tastes are all over the map.

Vaquero likes this.
  8. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I think you nailed it.
    For me, the last smoke of the day is usually some kind of Syrian mix like Samovar or Ringlows. Occasionally Wilderness. After a day of Ennerdale and Grousemoor, it's a nice change of pace and I can put up with the mild seizure.

9. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I like lighter stuff through the day and with more nicotene in the evening. For a while I was smoking Wessex brown VA flake every night. Throughout the day I like Dunhill london mixture, EMP or CH or PA.

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'd even suggest some RRR as it's
    better for the afternoon or evening. IMHO

11. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Something full flavored with a decent nic hit like Dark Flake or Irish Flake.

12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think the whole"start with something light" thing is an internet wive's tale bunch of hogwash. What do you drink in the morning? Water? I drink black coffee, so why do I want some pansy tobacco to go with my stout coffee?

Beale, Vaquero and Ted Vig like this.
  13. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

I like london mixture or nightcap as the last smoke of the night.

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Something full on flavor, light on nicotine for me.

15. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

So far, my favorite evening or night cap smoke is Shortcut to Mushrooms. Recently I tried some of Captain Earl's 10 Russians, it was good, but it did leave a coating on my tongue! I guess I like Latakia at night.

16. powell0892

powell0892 Member

I smoke a lot of Boswells so a lot of times I will stick with something like Hunters choice or Spice and nice during the day and look for something more along the lines of Bear Blend at night, not so much stronger but just more flavorful to me. However I am currently trying to transition into English blends so I'm sure all that will change shortly.

Sawbones: that is a beautiful dog you have there what is it?

17. akohtz

akohtz Member

My evening tobacco is whatever I feel like smoking.

- Andrew

18. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

I thought it might have something to do with this. I usually smoke nothing but med to heavy English/Balkan blends and the evening one or twice a week is usually the only time I get to smoke. Should the "last" smoke of the day be heavy or light nic?

19. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I've heard of those internet wives. They mostly come from the Ukraine, right?

I think the idea is that if I start my day with, say, 1792, the EMP or 5100 or FVF I smoke later will be less flavorful, because Gawith will have overloaded my poor li'l ol' tongue.

jpberg and el guero like this.
  20. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

'Night Cap'....'Early morning pipe'......just names folks! - you don't really have to smoke 'em at those times!....or maybe you smoke 'Frogmorton'......on the Bayou?:byg:
    OT;)

Gary likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.