Ever Heard of Magpie Tobacco?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DanS, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanS

DanS Member

Good Morning: I am new to this forum. I am trying to locate a pipe tobacco by the name of "magpie." Tobacco by this name was smoked by a soldier from my hometown who was killed in Vietnam in 1968. I played taps at his funeral. We recently honored him and in reading his letters home to his parents, he frequently referred to his "magpie" pipe tobacco and how he had gotten some of his friends to smoke it and they liked it as well. Neither his brother nor I are able to find any tobacco by this name. Can anyone help us out this one? Thanks in advance. Dan

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

3. DanS

DanS Member

Forgive me, but that link didn't help. I've already Googled "magpie pipe tobacco." What are you seeing on this link that I am missing? Thanks. Dan

4. DanS

DanS Member

Okay, maybe I'm slow on the uptake. Does Condor equal Magpie?

5. EvanWeeks

EvanWeeks Member

Far as I can tell in my google searches it's a long-since-defunct tobacco brand. Best I can find is antique tin tags from the tobacco tins it came in. I wouldn't hold out much hope of finding any of this, sorry. :(

6. DanS

DanS Member

Interesting. Thanks.

7. woody

woody Admin Admin

Sorry DanS, but you never know, in a few days or weeks someone may see your post and be able to tell you more. Anyway, welcome to PSF. :puffy:

8. DanS

DanS Member

Thank you. This has been helpful so far. I will keep checking back. I appreciate the quick responses. Best, Dan

9. Robert Herzog

Robert Herzog New Member

Hi, I am not a smoker, I am currently doing some research at the Library of Congress in Washington. A work of art in the National Gallery of Art by Joseph Cornell consists primarily of a board with a hundred tobacco tags attached to it. Of these tags about a half dozen have MAGPIE behind a surrealist depiction of a large bird towering over a bent-back man. I believe this magpie tobacco company has an origin in Australia, but I do not know for certain if the magpie tobacco tags come from Australia? The magpie tobacco tags can be seen on E-bay. The Australian company produce football cigarette cards long ago. It is interesting to find out that the company may have still been in business in the 60's, I am looking for information on the design of the tobacco tag, information about this company, on the web, is hard to find. Thank you. -Robert Herzog

dwaugh and woody like this.
  10. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

:eek: :eek::eek::eek:.....Stay around long enough, and you will be, Rob!

11. Robert Herzog

Robert Herzog New Member

Anyway I think the last record of JJ Schuh Tobacco Company the makers of Magpie may be around 1930, it was an Australian company which would have been readily available in SE asia but were they still in business during the 60's or did someone else appropriate the magpie nostalgia for their own marketing purposes. I would like to post a question: Has the US ever imported raw tobacco from Australia and why?

woody likes this.
  12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

+1 ;)
    Well Robert Herzog, to do some downright dedicated and intensive research, grab a cob and some good flake and puff away :):)
    Your work does sound interesting...

13. woody

woody Admin Admin

Smoker or not I think it is very nice of Robert take the time to share his knowledge with us.

Thanks Robert :th1:

Ted Vig and dwaugh like this.
  14. TxPipesmoker

Magpie Navy Flake. Came in a little round tin with a magpie sitting on it. My grandfather use to have some. It was a blend sold under the H.C. Lloyd & Son label, which was owned by Cope Brothers, which was owned by Gallaher in the late 50's. "Lloyds Magpie Navy Flake" As far as it being sold up to 68 I have no idea., but I know it was around in the late 50's. I'm a wealth of usless information.......

15. TxPipesmoker

Your talking about Magpie cigarettes. JJ Schuh 1920's. Completely different than what the orginal poster is asking about. PM me, my fees are low.:thu2:

16. woody

woody Admin Admin

Looks like they made some sort of trading cards?

17. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Is it possible that it was a Vietnamese brand?? Perhaps a knock off of the Australian brand? The Vietnamese were quite smart about finding and or creating things that American service men wanted. I was in the AF at that time and remember some odd brands of cigars and cigarettes that were sold in the PX, as it was called at the time. One base I was on, in Florida, even had Picanninie (sp?) cigarettes in the PX.

18. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Great info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.