1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever heard of pipe baccy called...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

...Yellow Jacket? As a kid, I remember my older cousin taking me to the tobacco shop and purchasing this pipe tobacco, and mixing it with a Cavendish. This occurred in So. New England, during the 1970s. This mixture was his "go to" tobacco. I remember the room-note was incredible.

I've searched, but have come up with nothing. Has anyone heard of this "Yellow Jacket"?

2. pottsy

pottsy Member

Probably a baccy shop special. Not something you could buy just any place.

3. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Your probably right. I'm trying to get in touch with my cuz.

4. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

New one on me, but I suppose anything is possible! I have found old advertisements for many different tobys and accessories that aren't available anymore.

5. telltime

telltime Active Member

Try the Owl Shop in Worcester, MA (www.owlshop.com). Speak with George. He's been there forever (he owns it)... they have a few blends of their own with colorful names, and may have had this at one point.

I used to go to the Owl Shop when I lived up in New England and George was always very nice to me. He lost his son several years ago in an auto accident. His son made pipes, but George won't sell what he has left in the case for obvious sentimental reasons. Nice pipes, though.

His grandson is there with him now. I haven't lived up there for about 8 years, and I was amazed at the grandson's pictures on the website. I remember him as this lanky tall kid who went snowboarding with his friends. I must say the eight years have been kinder to him than me. Now he no longer looks like a kid, and I no longer look like a young man!

6. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Thanks, Telltime.

7. greggithy

greggithy New Member

Humidor Smoke Shop in Warwick, Cranston and East Greenwich RI has Yellow Jacket.....one of their top sellers and my favorite blend. They don't have an online store though, so you'll have to make the trip.

8. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Wow, thanks Gregg! I think he use to get it at either the Warwick or the Midwy Mall. In fact, my cuz, used to work at the baccy shop. Too bad I can't purchase it here from SoCal. If I could afford it, I'd go get it. I love RI. I have many close family members in West Warwick and have spent many summers there.

One of my aunts is coming here for a vacation later this summer. Perhaps I can get one of my cousins to bring some to her, before her trip.

By the way, can you describe it's taste and contents?

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Was it in a tin or bulk?

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Even if they don't have a website, I'll bet you could call them and order some by phone for mail out.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Yup. I'm sure if you ring them they'd do a mail order. Good luck on your nostalgia trip! :)

12. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks. That's where my memories go, as far as pipe smoking. In fact, I had a couple of cousins that partook ... one, I believe still does, the other makes it very occasional.

I can't believe I still remembered Yellow Jacket, after more than 35 yrs.

13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Was it in a tin or bulk?

14. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

You have to promise to update us if you manage to get a hold of some! I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

15. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

PSF... you got people. Cool connection.

When you get some, be a pal and send me a bowl to try. I will attempt to reply with something up to the profile. I might be heading through that area this summer so if I score first I'll hook you up.

16. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

It was bulk. At least back then it was.

Deal, Mister Moo!

17. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Pecci, if for some reason you can't get your hands on YJ, let me know. The Humidor is my B&M. Last time I was there it was in stock. Prices usually range from $4.50-$5.25/oz, and there's no discount for bulk (I keep asking ).

18. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Thank you, JuJu.

...So many kind folks here, huh!?:toast:

On vacation now. I'll call them when I get back home over the wkend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.