1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Ever Seen a Peterson Like This?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by TWolf, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TWolf

TWolf Member

I won this on Ebay and it was delivered today. It's a Peterson. It caught my eye because it seemed unusual and I liked the look. The only markings are "Peterson's" and "imported briar" on the bottom. Nothing else anywhere else on the pipe. It's been used but seems to be in really great shape. It's not the dirtiest estate pipe I've gotten by far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Preacher1611 likes this.
  2. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Not like any Peterson I've seen in the past 40 years. Send a photo to Peterson. They're good people there and if anyone has anything on it, they'll respond.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

My hunch would be that it's a house pipe for a Tobacconist named Peterson's.

rondel65, RTOdhner, bubbagump and 4 others like this.
  4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nomenclature is wrong for any Pete I've seen. Nice Canadian though!

5. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Ive never seen a peterson with imported briar stamped on the pipe. Old american pipe makers in the 40's used allot of algerian briar that had the imported briar stamp.

6. DogTalker

DogTalker Member

One of those Chinese counterfeits?

7. Terry292

Terry292 Member

I would have to agree with what's already been posted. The Imported Briar stamp almost certainly makes it an American-made pipe. I've never seen an Irish Peterson with such a stamp. As to who made it, that's pretty much a your guess is as good as mine situation. Most pipe companies made private label pipes at one time, or another.

If it smokes well, who really cares who the manufacturer was?

Preacher1611, David Emond and Coda like this.
  8. TWolf

TWolf Member

Yeah, I suppose it's definitely possible that it's a Ralph Peterson from Hoboken. I put the pictures and the question out there on the International Peterson board and I sent a query directly to Peterson so we'll see what turns up. I'll let you all know if I hear anything.

I got it at a good and fair price (even if it's not a Pete) and it seems to be well made. If it turns out to actually be a Pete then I've added an unusual one to my growing collection of Petes. If not, I have another nice pipe. In the meantime, I agree with you Terry. If it smokes well, who cares? I'll do a clean up on her and let you know.

Preacher1611 and Old Codger like this.
  9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It looks like it says Petersen in the picture ? Instead of Petersons

10. TWolf

TWolf Member

Nope, just double checked with a magnifying glass. Definitely an "o". Peterson's.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Cool ... it's a rusticated Peterson !

12. TWolf

TWolf Member

I hope so! If not...it's a cool rusticated pipe of unknown origin. It's pedigree (if determined) will determine it's place in my pipe racks but either way, I'll smoke it. Until proven otherwise it'll hang out drinking Guinness, acting cool, and talkin' ****e with my other Petes.

ruffinogold likes this.
  13. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

Either way it's still a nice looking pipe. Let us know how it turns out in time.

14. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

+1 to having never seen or heard of an Irish Peterson stamped "imported briar." The rustication style is also unlike anything I've seen from them, new or old. I'm inclined to agree that it's likely a US shop's house pipe. Nice shape and look, though, so hopefully it will treat you well regardless!

15. TWolf

TWolf Member

Still no definitive word on whether or not it's a legitimate Pete but...it cleaned up beautifully (still have a little detail work to do on all those nooks and crannies) and it smokes even better. Just had a bowl of EGR blend in it and man was it a great smoke all the way to the bottom. Spectacular draw. So, I don't care if he's an illegitimate child of an Irish imported briar immigrant. He has a home with me.

16. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

It's definately a great looking pipe so I say great score and enjoy!

TWolf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.