1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Excited...and ever so slightly skeptical...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So I'm not used to the idea of estate pipes yet. They put me off. A used pipe?? I know you can get good deals, but.....gross.....

Anyway, I was in the market for a cheap pipe. I need another pipe for the floral type British tobaccos, as I've got only one and it's one of my favorite styles of tobacco right now. I was looking at getting a Duca Carlo, but while they're serviceable and cheap (about 40 bucks at SP), they aren't the prettiest...

Well, despite myself, I pulled the trigger and got out the plastic and ordered an estate pipe. A really good looking English made straight bulldog. Nice grain, the chamber is just the right size, reasonably light weight briar. It's made but some sub-brand of Comoy's apparently called Royal Coachman. Looks very clean and in good condition.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=78667

All I paid for it was 45 bucks. So I'm a little nervous because while it looks great and sounds like a heck of a deal, I'm a little unsure of getting an estate. It could prove to be excellent, or I could end up with a real lousy pipe. It's better looking and lighter than a Duca Carlo, sure, but Savinelli is generally a good choice for getting quality construction at a reasonable price.

What do you guys think? Obviously time will tell, but do you suspect I got a good deal or bought a POS?

2. Albert

Albert Active Member

Grain looks awesome! I have no knowledge about the make, but I like the pipe... hope it smokes well for you.

3. Kalhoun

Kalhoun Member

Nice pipe. I have one that looks EXACTLY like it but it has a bent stem.

4. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Nice looking pipe. I know it seems counter-intuitive but when buying estates the more beat up they are the better they smoke usually. If it's coming from a dealer I'm sure it's been cleaned up and sanitized so it's hard to tell if it was well loved or not. I wouldn't worry about buying an estate, unless you refuse to date women, eat out, shake hands or open doors you come into contact with many things nastier than the average estate pipe (especially once you clean it) in the daily run of things.

Kiowapipe and BigJ like this.
  5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Nice looking pipe, I wouldn't sweat it being an estate pipe. I think you got a good deal.

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Nesta, search 'Chris Keene Pipe Pages' or close to that. He has catalogs scanned from tobacconists, etc. Your pipe appears in a 1974 TinderBox catalog. I'm guessing Royal Coachman is a Comoy's brand exclusive for TB? It may not neccessarily even be a second, at that rate.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Oh, it also would qualify as 'pre merger'...which tends to give the pipe a better chance of being well fit and finished. Congrats, she's a beaut!

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Wow, don't know how you found that but definitely interesting! So it looks like, given the uncommon make and the catalog info, it's most likely from the mid-70s. Will be the oldest pipe I own haha....

So it's in good condition....so either someone took really good care of it, or it was a lousy smoker and it never got used and therefore never beaten up............let's hope it's just a good pipe which belonged to someone who took care of it

Can't wait to work it over with some GH stuff!:puffy:

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The pipe will rock !

10. akohtz

akohtz Member

I purchased an estate pipe off of smokingpipes.com and was very very very pleased with the condition of the pipe. It was fully cleaned, restored, and ready to smoke. If you want to buy used without the 'yuck' factor, they're the place to go.

- Andrew

HCraven likes this.
  11. HiloJohnny

HiloJohnny Guest

Fine looking pipe, Nesta....I'm betting it will be a great addition to your stable....:thu:

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1. I'm in full agreement with Andrew on this.
    I've bought several estates from SP, and all are
    ready to smoke when they arrive. Think of it
    as a fork you use in a restaurant. Yes, it's been
    used before, but it's clean through and through.

akohtz and Wicklow like this.
  13. shadow

shadow Active Member

It's a really nice pipe you got there!
    Annd I thoroughly agree with what's already been said about Estates and the hygiene factor: Once you get the pipe give it a good clean, and it'll be as good ass new, if not better!
    I actually prefer Estates to new pipes because I feel they taste better, and I'm now at a stage where I can say that breaking-in a new pipe is a chore rather than fun!
    That's assuming the Estate pipe is in reasonably good condition to begin with, and yours seems to be!
    Have fun with it!

14. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

So, did you get the pipe yet? Ruffino got you into this and I'm dying to see how things turn out for you.:)

15. Paul

Paul Member

howd this end up working out for ya? im curious!

im "in the market" for a cheap pipe too that i can throw in the car/bring with me anywhere/etc without worrying about it dinging up

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It's going to be at the UPS place in town by tonight, and I should have it in my personal possession by the end of tomorrow. I'll definitely let people know how it goes! If nothing else I'll have a good beater pipe for taking to work and stuff, but if the photo on the website is anything to judge it by, I should be in for a treat!

17. Paul

Paul Member

nice! :D

18. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I used to do a lot of restoration work on pre-owned pipes for a pipe shop. Believe me, there was nothing of the original owner left on the pipes when I finished. They were perfectly sanitary. No worries. Enjoy your "new" pipe!

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I certainly think I will! And I fully anticipate being quite smitten with the Kendal Flake, too.

And hey, Kendal Dark is an old standby. Can't WAIT to be able to have smoke breaks at work without cigarettes again! :p

Hell, that stuff is even good when I'm -not- pressed for time.

20. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'd absolutely agree with what has been said above about estate pipes. I think smokingpipes does a very thorough job of cleaning them (and making them look great, too). I got my first estates at the Columbus show some years ago and discovered the joy of getting a really nice pipe on the cheap (and already broken in, to boot) so I've bought many more since then. I'd guess that at least half my collection are estates at this point, but they're all me, now.

That's a real beauty, by the way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.