1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Excited...and ever so slightly skeptical...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

One of my first pipes was an estate Peretti Canadian I got for a similar price:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/united-states/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=61695

It's been a favorite when I have time for a nice long smoke. In fact, it was responsible for one of my best pipesmoking experiences when I filled it with some Low Country Santee during a blizzard a while back.

Estates can often be hit-or-miss, but when you're buying from a reputable dealer like Smokingpipes.com. the only concern is finding the right pipe for you at a price you can afford. They clean, refurbish and santize their estate pipes so they seem almost like new!

May you enjoy your bulldog for many years! The grain is magnificent!

Bri2k

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well thanks folks! I'm extremely excited about the whole thing. And yeah, for a pipe I got for under 50 bucks I sure can't say the grain is delivering anything less than amazing bang for the buck. But I'm anticipating Lakeland overload tomorrow, so I had to focus on my La Rocca tonight. It hasn't seen much more attention in the last month or two than a good swabbing with a pipe cleaner after smoking. The airway was getting restricted, so with the help of a few regular cleaners, a few bristle cleaners, my czech tool, a shank brush and a few drops of isopropyl, I cleaned that s.o.b. out really well, especially focusing on the airway. Smoothed out the cake pretty decently, scrubbed the stem with toothpaste and then oiled it to restore its lustre.....yeah, it's all ready for a nice first-of-the-day smoke tomorrow. Will likely get smoked a few times tomorrow, actually.

All things considered it's a damn fine pipe, and even buying it new in a store I don't think I spent more than 45 bucks on it. Sure, it has a few fills, but those are the ONLY thing I really don't like about the pipe (even though I'd prefer it have an acrylic stem). The finish has a nice tone to it, I like the fact that the lip of the chamber is bevelled, it smokes great and is perfectly drilled....as long as I take care of it, it's one of the best smokers I have. Lightweight wood, and sure it gets pretty warm sometimes but it never smokes hot as in uncomfortably. I think I might need to go to the Tinderbox next time I'm considering a new pipe and seeing what more La Rocca's they may have in stock, and what pricing may be like for them at the moment.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well I'm currently taking my first tentative puffs out of the bulldog! So far so good. Smoking Kendal Dark, with Turkish coffee on the side.

This thing looks as good in person as on the website. So far it's smoking well, too!

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well that was certainly a fine smoke :)

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

How did that taste in a used pipe ? My God man , it's used . You stooped so low :)

Kiowapipe likes this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I feel dirty inside... :oops:

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You should .... feels good , dosent it !

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well it's certainly a nice pipe! I think I got a good deal :)

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I used to be put off by the idea of a used pipe too. Used to be. Now I love estates! I look at it sort of like adopting an orphaned old dog :)
    You can get a great bargain on a pipe that's already been well broken-in and loved. After bleaching the stem and dousing everything in alcohol there's really no worry about cooties. Plus I just like the idea of old briar with a history. Kinda like a used book with mysterious old pencil notes in it. These days if I buy a pipe it's probably going to be an interesting old estate.

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

By the way, did I mention that you absorb the wisdom of the former owner when you smoke an estate pipe? It's kind of a Highlander thing. Unfortunately you might also become incontinent by the same token. Good luck! :xd:

11. Stryder

Stryder Member

I can live with the incontinence, it's the erectile dysfunction that scares me! ;)

HCraven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.