1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Experiences with Bisgaard Pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by pacificflows, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

I'm looking into purchasing a handmade Danish pipe from Bisgaard Pipes, but shipping to the states is really, really pricey unless I choose, "air mail all over the world by Post Denmark," which has a very scary disclaimer of, "no insurance, no tracking."

Does anyone have experience with Bisgaard Pipes, or to be more specific, air mail by Post Denmark?

I'm having some serious anxiety about my desire for a hand made Danish over a machine made Bjarne Viking Classic.

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Guess not. :confused:

3. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

Well, dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

I took a chance and pulled the trigger on a Poul Winslow Crown Viking that should be arriving in a little more than a week. I got some advice that made a lot of sense, saying that if you're in the market for an $80 - $100 pipe, there's no reason to not go with a hand made over machined.

I'll report my experience and hope to give Bisgaard a good review, because they've got an outstanding collection of Danish hand mades that are generally up to $20 cheaper than available at any other retailer I've been able to find.

Here's my new baby. $95 out the door!

User3940 likes this.
  4. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Was that Santa himself showing you that pipe? I know of no other man who runs around wearing white gloves.....

Very nice pipe at that pricepoint. Good snag.

Russell Hartman and pacificflows like this.
  5. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Yep---gotta agree with ArmedOctopus----Thats gotta be good ol' Santa with his gloves. He's checking out that pipe and has decided that although its April---well apparently you have a lot more check marks on his "been good" list instead of his "naughty" list. That pipe has your name on it. Now just wait by the chimney for old ho-ho to arrive with your pipe.

pacificflows likes this.
  6. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

I guess he must be doing birthday gifts this year.

Best. Birthday. EVER!

I also have four tins of McClelland blends on the way. Legends, another Scottish Woods, some Grey Havens, and the Blackwoods Flake!

It's a quarter century blowout. :byg:

7. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

So my Poul Winslow just arrived, and I'm smoking my first bowl of Legends out of it. About half way down, and I gotta say... this is a fantastic pipe! Wide open draw with zero relights. Couldn't be happier.

Funnily enough, the pipe arrived here on the SAME DAY my order from smokingpipes.com got here!

I am noticing that this acrylic stem feels a little more fragile than the vulcanites I am used to. I'm sure it's not necessary, but in the interests of keeping my baby safe, I'd like to get one of the rubber biter pieces I see some people use. Anyone have any recommendations as far as that goes? Some have reviews with people claiming they leave a rubber taste in the smoke, and I certainly don't want any of that.

Also, this Legends is pretty damned tasty. Little on the sweet side, but that suits my mood just fine at the moment. :puffy:

8. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Pacificflows:
    Actually the acrylic is very tough. However as you perhaps noticed as you clench the pipe gently--the stuff feels so hard compared to Vulcanite type stems. I own both types of stems, and can tell you that the acrylic stem will take quite a beating from the teeth.

pacificflows likes this.
  9. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

Thanks, Russell. That's reassuring to hear. I did not want my clenching habits to crack or chip at the stem, rather than indent like the vulvanites do.

Either way, I'm not going to be chewing away at this while I work like I do my Dr. G's. This pipe's for when I've got nothing on my plate and can just enjoy my smoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.