Exploding jar of tobacco?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Golden Child, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden Child

Golden Child Member

So, my first post here. How do you fellas do? Been lurking a bit and the guys on another forum (not really pipe related, for the most part) didn't seem to have any experience with this.

Took up the pipe about a year ago due to some jerks making it sound great at another forum and I recently had an odd experience.

I had purchased a tin of C&D Bayou Nights, I opened it, smoked a bowl and enjoyed it. I then packed the tobacco into a jar for storage.

That was about 3-4 weeks ago.

Two days ago, I opened the jar and as soon as I unscrewed the lid (Two piece bell jar lid), it exploded off like it was under a good deal of pressure. It flew roughly ten feet across the room. (It also scared the bejeesus out of me, lol)

I am unsure what the heck is going on here. My other jars tend to be more vacuum sealed, where I have to pop the lid off with my fingers.

The tobacco doesn't smell 'off' to me, but I do not have enough experience with the blend to know if it smells 'on' really, if you catch my drift.

Anyone else have this happen?

I'm somewhat worried about smoking this stuff again, health-wise, anyone have any thoughts on what's going on? Something go bad? something go RIGHT???

I've read about swollen tins a couple times and people seem to consider that good? Same thing?

Any help appreciated!

2. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Was the tobacco very moist? Did it get warm - or warmer than the tin was before? Maybe moisture and oils started to evaporate, creating pressure in the jar... I am just guessing here. Hopefully a true scientist can chime in and explain this.

3. Golden Child

Golden Child Member

It was and still is on the moist side of things.

It did not get hot. It is unlikely to have gotten over 70 degrees.

4. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

That's a new one for me. What makes sense is that something is creating a gas in there and for it to toss the lid like that it's something quite active. Is there any mould, white threads or anything else that would suggest that the tobacco is going bad? I'd empty the jar out on to a plate or paper towel, spread out the tobacco and look at it more closely.

5. Golden Child

Golden Child Member

I did kind of poke around the jar. Moved some tobacco, shook it to see better, etc. Didn't see anything. Maybe I'll dump it out and take a look in the morning. Currently have it tucked away safely.

Hate to have to waste that much tobacco! I felt like it was a pretty nice blend...

6. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

I've only come across rotting tobacco once and it had an unmistakably mouldy sickly sweet smell to it. I don't have any idea if the moulds in tobacco are a health hazard so can't make any suggestions. Hope that someone else chimes in on this.

7. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I do believe I saw your post on that other forum....the one dedicated more to scraping the fur of the face....
    Anyhoo, welcome aboard, and like the others have suggested, take a look at it and make sure you're not having some sort of fermentation problem. I don't have any idea what would cause it to happen, just could be a freak thing.. If nothing else it's an excuse to buy more!

Raffxr7 likes this.
  8. PatDreadful

PatDreadful Member

There was another thread on the site where a C&D blend had white bubbles and, after calling C&D, it was determined that there was still active fermentation going on. This isn't necessarily a bad thing and shouldn't ruin the remainder of the blend. I would just release the pressure every so ofter because if my time homebrewing has taugh me anything, it is that glass under extreme pressure NEVER ends well.

Good luck and welcome!

Oh and if you're really curious, give C&D a call. They are extremely nice and would be more than happy to discuss it with you.

9. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I had a 16 ounce jar of LNF that had aged two years and it blew it's top when I opened it last month. The lid didn't fly very far but it made a pretty loud noise and startled the dickens out of me. The tobacco smokes great.

Side note: the loudest and scariest noise I ever heard. When you live in Nebraska, it is unwise to load camping provisions for your trip to the Rockies that include an unopened bag of potato chips in your airplane. A really loud noise, especially at 12,000 feet.:eek:

Old Codger likes this.
  10. phinz

phinz Active Member

I had a 2.5 year old quart jar of Squadron Leader do this. Still smoked great. Actually, some of the best I've had.

11. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I have a jar of Parklane's Red Paramour that always pops when I open it, nothing like you've described though. Could just be natural.

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

A natural by-product of fermentation. If you do as mentioned and spread it out..let it sit for half an hour or so, then re-jar it. A bit of drying *should* eliminate the major causes of fermentation.
    As an aside, a lot of folks LOOK for tins with swollen lids....supposed to be some of the best aged tobaccos.

13. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Home brewers deal with bottles blowing up from fermentation producing c02 from the sugars/starches in the brew, sometimes things are bottled (in this case tinned) before reaching the slow secondary fermentation stage--I believe this is what happened to you. Let it vent periodically and it may be the best frog baccy you have ever had. Should age well, too. To be honest, I left my lids a little loose when I brewed. If it gets over 135F the yeast (fermenting thingamajigs) will die, and I do believe they die at 32F as well.

14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

That had to have a pretty high "Pucker Factor"...

15. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Well, yeah.

Before that flight, I had tonsils.:)

SmokeyJoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.